Enclosure not hot enough

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steppo94

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have 2 juvenile coastals each in their own perspex vivavarium (30x17x25). it is only starting to get warmer in sydney, but the hot end of their enclosures is only about 24C max. I have them elevated about 2cm above a 10W heat mat which sits under 1/3 of each of their enclosures, so the plastic doesn't melt and to allow airflow. i've got a ceramic tile in there as well but not sure if it is hotter than 24C as they are usually basking on top of it.

so any tips on how to raise the temperature to about 30C or will it naturally rise when summer comes around. Ive been told that a heat mat will be enough for juvies so thats why i haven't got a light or anything.

Thanks, steppo

Set their viv's DIRECTLY ON the heat mat.

Use a thermostat to control the heat output.

And use a thermometer INSIDE their enclosures to calibrate the thermostat accurately.

they must be able to reach a BODY temp of 32c at least,a 10w heat matt is useless,try a 50w with a termostat,get yourself a temp gun so you can test there BODY temps

And this is the trouble with heat mats/cords etc being used as a primary heat source in rooms that get cold.You will find it much much easier using globes etc as while creating a decent basking spot they also increase the ambient air temps in enclosures.

because the enclosure is relatively small to the area of light being emitted, will a globe still create a heat gradient in the enclosure?

Set their viv's DIRECTLY ON the heat mat.

Use a thermostat to control the heat output.

And use a thermometer INSIDE their enclosures to calibrate the thermostat accurately.
+1

they must be able to reach a BODY temp of 32c at least,a 10w heat matt is useless,try a 50w with a termostat,get yourself a temp gun so you can test there BODY temps
I use 10w heat mats and have never had heating issues?? Always get 32c + in temps!!

Set their viv's DIRECTLY ON the heat mat

the perspex has nearly melted when i've left it directly on top

I use 10w heat mats and have never had heating issues?? Always get 32c + in temps!!

my heat mat is always >32C but i think there is too much heat being lost. i'll try and reduce the space between the mat and the vivarium, just enough so that they aren't in contact

thanks, everyone for ur replies

+1

if that works for you great but its not working for steppo94,we are just giving our opinions on stepo94s heating issues,......

the perspex has nearly melted when i've left it directly on top my heat mat is always >32C but i think there is too much heat being lost. i'll try and reduce the space between the mat and the vivarium, just enough so that they aren't in contact
thanks, everyone for ur replies
Gee I find that strange as I keep my 10w heat mats directly in contact with plastic tubs with no thermostat and have never had melting issues??
I'm not talking mat heat as my mats read about 45c, I'm talking surface heat inside enclosure.
Maybe try placing a tile on heat mat, the tile will the heat up and become your enclosures source of heat.
if that works for you great but its not working for steppo94,we are just giving our opinions on stepo94s heating issues,......
Its not working for him as he has a 20mm gap between mat and enclosure, this will never work, a gap of 5mm would not even work in my opinion.

How can it nearly melt if you have the thermostat set to 35 deg?
Get a starmaid tub.. they dont melt at 40 deg... Oh and get a thermostat!

Why not put the ceramic tile ontop of the heatmat and then the enclosure on the tile. A bit of heat will be lost through heating the tile, may not get hot enough to melt your enclosure

I have a 48 page exercise book between the mat and click clack. Works a charm for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back