Pygmy Mulga Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, not sure who though. If anyone is breeding them or has some they dont want and knows how to sex them, im interestested in getting some females.

LOL, thanks cris that's very helpful...

Oh and I've seen your youtube vid cris, one of the reasons I'm interested, so thanks for posting.

Pics of any setups would be great too if anyone has them.

Last edited:
Yeah you have to love some sadistic live feeding of innocent spiders :lol: Unfortunately they were all males although one was keen on mating and trying to rip the head off one of the others (at the same time lol).

I have found they love to hunt invertebrates, eat meat(especially f/t geckos) and hide under bark that sits on a round log, like you get on mulga.

OK thanks, that's a shame you got all males, did you get a trio of hatchlings? I read that their average clutch size is 2-4 so I guess that explains why there never seem to be too many around.

How do you rate them compared to other monitors?

Yeah i got 3 hatchlings from the same clutch. They are a small arboreal species that lives in arid conditions that seems to thrive in captivity. Larger monitors tend to be more fearless because they probably realise they can rip you up if they want and certain habitats can make more attractive display enclosures, but over all i wouldnt consider them to be less interesting to keep than anything i have kept (apart from a couple pet dogs, but dogs dont live as long :().

I love these guys I have 2 that live in my back courtyard wall. I am assuming they are a pair,I have been hand feeding them woodies.

Ok thanks. I'd love to find out more about them. They seem to only come up for sale occasionally but I know a lot of people rate them very highly. I can't recall ever seeing them for sale as hatchlings (although that may be due to my previous lack of interest in them). The fact they are arboreal appeals to me as I think you can make their enclosure much more interesting that way, also the small size is good too. I have a new enclosure that is 900L x 1500H x 650W that I'm looking to fill with something new.

We have 2 eggs in the incubator atm but are planning on keeping them. I haven't seen many for sale (and I've been looking) in the last year and a half we've had them. They're a great little species!!

i hope to breed them again this year. i have a female that looks gravid at the moment. last year this female dropped a clutch of 4 and a clutch of 3, which all hatched. i used to keep my first adult pair in a 1300l x 700h x 600w but found they were hiding alot and i hardly saw them. now i keep them in smaller enclosures and they tong feed and are alot more active plus they have bred every year since.

I cant seem to find any info on these little guys. has anybody else had any luck? or have any links they could pass on? would be much appreciated:)

If they were snakes they would cost $2000 or more(more than 10X what i paid), considering the demand and supply, but for some reason lizards arnt as much of a ripp off, just require more luck or patience to get them.

Yes they certainly don't seem anywhere near as popular as pythons. I suspect this may be because pythons require less space, food and time.

I wonder how many people actually keep PMMs, the captive population is probably quite low.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Do you have any pics?

i hope to breed them again this year. i have a female that looks gravid at the moment. last year this female dropped a clutch of 4 and a clutch of 3, which all hatched. i used to keep my first adult pair in a 1300l x 700h x 600w but found they were hiding alot and i hardly saw them. now i keep them in smaller enclosures and they tong feed and are alot more active plus they have bred every year since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back