Snake Eggs... What do i do?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GroupAHSV

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Blue phase tree snake just layed some eggs today. I dont have an incubator but want to know what i am supposed to do till i get one? If i need one at all.

and another guy rides in from the sunset on his big horse yelling yeeeeeeee haaaaaa

She is in Captivity and in her tank. I dont have an incubator as this is the first year that i have tried to breed them and i wasnt expecting it so quick. Is there any special requirement that i need to do until i get an incubator tomorrow so that they dont die?

Bandy.Andy: What you mean by your post?

Mate wouldn't you have considered doing just the slightest bit of research before breeding?

Try finding me info in breeding tree snakes. Everything i have been told even off so called experts for these snakes is trail and error. I wasnt expecting them this quick so unless people from on here have some good advise to give then just dont bother replying.

Also if you do a search i have already posted that question some months ago but only got answers to get them to mate. Nothing about the care of the eggs

i hava no clue on treee snakes but i have heard of eggs surviving a few days not in a bator so just hope that they dont die untill tomorrow when u get the bator. ;)

go buy an esky or foam box, a heat cord, a thermostat, thermometer, a container to fit the eggs in and some vermiculite.

i'll try dig up a thread on building a cheap incubator. at a safe guess incubate them at 30C.

or find someone with an incubator and do a deal with them on a hatchie or something for their effort. i know id do it for you if you were up my way:)

Well I would also be interested in why she can't look after them herself, I'm sure it must work sometimes in the wild.

Thanks Ozzie Python, Have managed to get a mate to incubate them till he can get an incubator for me. They wont get to the incubator for a couple of hours though. Should that make a difference?

couple of hours should be ok, i think.... i've not kept a gts let alone had to deal with their eggs, just going by python egg experience. good luck with it.

Colubrids don't incubate their eggs, so the need for a fairly constant temperature is not as critical. The biggest danger they face is dehydration. The female will lay the eggs in the most hospitable environment, with appropriate humidity, and this sort of place is rarely available in an enclosure.

Without wanting to be negative - if you were attempting to breed them this year, why did you not have the equipment in place, ready for the event, even if it was unexpected... that's not advice that applies only to tree snakes - it applies to all species.

having said that, I've been caught out a couple of times, but atemporary incubator is easy to make with a foam esky, a heat cord (15 watts is usually plenty - don't go for anything higher) and a good thermostat.

Congrats anyway - and good luck with the eggs...

Jamie.

The way that i got caught out was... When i got her last year she layed 1-2 eggs here and there. This was done just before christmas. Was planning on getting one next month when my pay come in and get it ready but she has had them quickly. And that is some great information about the temperature. However my next question would be what about humidity? When is enough not enough and when is it too much? Also any ideas about temperature?

enough with the bashing,,,

the point of purpose is these eggs surviving...

if worst gets to absalute worse...

place the eggs in a container that has a base that can be kept moist but not wet...
shred paper if you have too about an inch high...vermiculite is the best but even grass clippings ot something like that...
at worse,,,make the container tamper proof and place it in you snake tank where you can control the heat at about 30 degrees.
make sure your snakes cant get in to them or move the container...
dont forget to mark the tops of your eggs with texter so you dont roll them...

just remember moist, tamper proof and do not roll them or you will kill the embrio that has by now attached to the top of the egg...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back