Emerald Tree Monitor (Varanus prasinus)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zan777

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

was reading a monitor book in the library and came across a picture of an Emerald Tree Monitor. it says it was mainly distributed in PNG but could be found in islands within the Torres strait and cape York peninsular QLD.

They look absoloutly amazing and I was wondering if they are available in Australia?

pics for reference:
709px-Varanus_prasinus.jpg

greentree.gif

They are amazing, but no unfortunately for some reason we don't have these in captivity here.

They are also found in a couple of rainforests of Cape york peninsula. I dare say they would be very seldom seen considering they spend most of their time in the canopy tops. Very beautiful monitor indeed.

Do these lizards even do well in captivity? i would have thought they would be extremely shy and easily stressed or do they make good captives?

I think it would be easier just to spray a V.gilleni with green food dye :lol:

Yeah you can't buy them because licensing laws kicked in before anyone realised they were an Australian native..

on youtube theres vids of them on a girls shoulder and shes feeding them, you can get them illegally in Aus, they look like they would be similar to tristis just with a rainforest enclosure with humidity.
ridgie

on youtube theres vids of them on a girls shoulder and shes feeding them, you can get them illegally in Aus, they look like they would be similar to tristis just with a rainforest enclosure with humidity.
ridgie
???????????????????????? since when do we promote illegal reptile activity on here ?

They are also found in a couple of rainforests of Cape york peninsula. I dare say they would be very seldom seen considering they spend most of their time in the canopy tops. Very beautiful monitor indeed.

r3 reptilian, I would like to believe that they are here but there is no hard evidence. One of the Rangers at Iron Range told me that they have deposited a green specimen to the museum but there doesn't seem to be any record of it. I also believe that one respectable herper have seen one at IR but it's a verbal anecdote again. You're saying they are in a couple of rainforests on CY - which is the other spot, apart from IR?
The Varanus keithhornei is also a canopy dweller, equally well camouflaged, yet there have been many sightings (I photographed this road kill just 2 weeks ago), so why is it that the green ones would be so hard to find?

cheers
M

9.jpg

according to the book they have not yet been recorded on the mainland only found in the surrounding islands in our territory of Australia (and no that doent mean the NT before some go off half cocked)...beautiful monitors though ..

It seems there at lots that have been captured and shipped overseas to Europe and America. Just looking at one site

The monitor himself will tolerate handling and often comes to me when opening the glass for spraying/maintenance and will happily sit on my shoulder for long periods - never showed any signs of aggression

I think that captivity wise, if you can get there enclosure set up correctly they wouldn't be too much trouble. Especially if people overseas are managing.

Is it possible for someone to get a special license and obtain a few specimens from the Islands in North Queensland and then try and establish a breeding population in Australia?

I suspect it's the same case as with GTPs at Lockerbie Scrub. They are supposedly there, some people claim they have seen them but in reality they're not there.

Is it possible for someone to get a special license and obtain a few specimens from the Islands in North Queensland and then try and establish a breeding population in Australia?

It should possible but it's not because common sense does not prevail in bureaucracy. :( The QPWS will only allow to "take from the wild" for scientific purposes and even that is bloody hard.

would be great to see these guys in captivity here... judging by all the photos and videos, they look very nice!

We do have them in Australia.... Only thing is they are black. Not too far fetched to think that keithhornei is just a melanistic version of the green one. Makes sense given our cooler winters. In fact yesterday I saw a blue one, a green one and a gold/yellow one. Each from a small islands separated by a bit of sea.

BTW Mike, did you see greens in IR recently?

Yes, we found some but I just submitted an article to S&T about the trip, so I don't want to say much here. I email you later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back