The 2010 Australian Herpetological Symposium, Cairns, Oct 1, 2, & 3

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sounds like I missed out on a great event this year... I have just been sitting here wondering what the average age bracket of attendees would have been? I'm not proud of but honest enough to admit that I felt that the price tag of seats at the Symposium surely must have limited some enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and keen younger members of the herpetoculture world, myself included.

Not to rehash on a topic of old, because I know this has already been discussed, but surely this should be a major consideration? How else are those of us trying to "move up" in the herping world/industry if we're unable to meet the more experienced and learn from them?

Hi Kristy, I understand what you are saying, but from personal experience of hosting our own Reptile Festival, which of course is on a smaller scale, I realise just how time consuming and expensive a process it is to bring this kind of an event together. I'm sure that the other organisers of Expos can also testify to this fact. It's not cheap to bring together even a smaller one day event, so I can't even imagine how expensive a project this was for the organisers of the Symposium, but I'm sure that they do appreciate that not everyone is going to be able to attend, and that in many instances it's going to be because of price. It's a shame, but it's a fact!

It's great that you and many other young new keepers to the industry are so keen. Heck, I know what I'm like myself. I'm like a sponge and absolutely absorb any info that I can. My advice to all newcomers, whether they can make it to the Symposium or not, would be similar to Michael's. Read, read, read, every reptile book, every reptile magazine that you can get your hands on. There's information in them all year round. Ask questions from experienced keepers. Attend any of the Expos/Festivals that you can. These are different to the Symposium, but you'll have the opportunity to meet and chat with many of Australia's most respected keepers at these events too. I've found that in most cases they are more than happy to help the newcomer, or less experienced person. We just need to ask them!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Joy

Last edited:
Like i said before you get the gecko people and we will come, I should also say we would like to hear from the aussie gecko Gods this to much to ask?

Like i said before you get the gecko people and we will come, I should also say we would like to hear from the aussie gecko Gods this to much to ask?

You are obviously in the gecko circles, why don't you ask the gecko Gods to submit papers? Or perhaps submit a paper yourself, wouldn't you like to be up there with the Gods? Is it too much to ask? LOL

Nephrurus deleani, vertebralis, Strophurus elderi, Underwoodisaurus sphyrurus, would all fit the theme, but most people with experience with them probably come from europe. what about Nautilinus? please someone submit a paper on Nauti's.

shan

Just got back earlier this week from the symposium and a couple of weeks in Alice Springs. The Symposium was fantastic with many great speakers and lots of good information. Was a great group of people and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many great keepers. The organizers did a great job and I am sure next years will be even better. Looking forward to next year all ready.
Justin Julander

Thanks Justin, it was a pleasure spending time with you & your dad. Look forward to seeing you in 12 months - will your dad be coming out again with you?

Jamie

BLOODYHELL .........READING HALF THIS THREAD IS LIKE BEING AT A PARENTS AND CITIZENS MEETING !!!!!(PnC).......all huffed n puffed BUT NO HOUSES BLOWN DOWN!

CONGRATS to all it sounded great obviously had a few kinks in the making but that can be sorted out before the next one ....AND SOUR GRAPES are in fine form with some of you ...as SHEILA would say "TUFF TITTIES" .....

Last edited:

Willi Henkel will be speaking in Sydney 2011, and we will have his books on aussie geckos for sale and you can get them signed. there is no one more experienced or knowledgeable about aussie geckos on the planet.

where can we get more details about sydney 2011?????

from what i've heard, cairns was sensational. congratulations scales and tails for putting on a top shelf conference.

where can we get more details about sydney 2011?????

from what i've heard, cairns was sensational. congratulations scales and tails for putting on a top shelf conference.

Scales & Tails have a few details in the next mag due out in a week or two :D

Just let me correct the record - Scales & Tails is simply one of several major sponsors, providing advertising and a platform for promotion of these events. I attended solely in my capacity as editor of the mag. Whilst finishing my review of the Symposium last week, I was speaking with the organisers, and have been advised that the website for the 2011 Symposium event will be launched this weekend, Sunday I believe. There has been a problem with the first venue of choice, due to the fact that the weekend includes a public holiday, and harbour ferries provide only limited services on those days... so changes are being sought.

Jamie.

there would be logistical problems with getting people to the taronga centre before a 10.00 am start because of the ferry timetable for those needing to use public transport. we are finalising a new venue in the next week, but it will be at one of the cbd hotels. we need an early start due to the large number of presentations included in next year's event. as soon as an alternate conference facility is booked, we will advertise the details on this site.

I would encourage everyone who possibly can to try to make it for 2011. Cairns was sensational in all aspects. The speakers were absolutely first class and those of us who were there have formed some great new friendships with not only the speakers but other delegates as well. There's a great payment plan being offered by the Symposium organisers, so make sure to grab our November issue (will be out about 11th/12th November)to read about it, or watch for the details on the Symposium website.
Cheers
Joy

Last edited:
i was with the organiser's last night and there is going to be a presentation on the Grand Cayman Blue Iguana Recovery Program and satellite tracking wild herps in 2011.

this will be the greatest week-end of your life. check out scales and tails for details and read about how good the last one was. this is the must-go-to event on the calendar for the herp-obsessed. see you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back