id some lizards please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That first monitor is struggling by the looks.. had no idea that rosenbergi are found around Sydney!

they are found on the northern side of sydney too around ku-ring-gai chase national park

It's range extends to the south side of Sydney
they are found on the northern side of sydney too around ku-ring-gai chase national park
Yep, I have found them in Kuringai NP north of Sydney in the higher areas of heath scrub (not surprising for a heath monitor I suppose), a bad pic of one from Kuringai NP
Goanna3.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool, I always thought they were SA and WA for some reason..

I believe they occur around Gosford too. You also get them in the Mallee of northern Victoria. They have quite a patchy distribution which reminds me of Echiopsis curta.

I agree and a very under fed one at that, also has some nice ticks around its neck!

yeah i was walking around quite slow i dont know much about them if i knew more i might of been able to help but than i shouldnt interfere with nature and let it take its own corse..
and yeah the roach was massive id say almost 5cm long

also just another question i saw another one that had stripes like the 2nd monitor but they were a bit more white is that the same kind of monitor??

I have also seen what I'm positive is V. rosenbergi in an area near Grafton, NSW. Much further north than what their range is meant to be.

also just another question i saw another one that had stripes like the 2nd monitor but they were a bit more white is that the same kind of monitor??
That would be another lace monitor, most likely.

Heath monitors (Varanus rosenbergi) are quite common around Sydney, as are lace monitors. I wouldn't worry too much about the ticks, every one I've seen has had them.

I have also seen what I'm positive is V. rosenbergi in an area near Grafton, NSW. Much further north than what their range is meant to be.
I've heard a couple anecdotal reports of them on the north coast, so I'm beginning to think there's something to it.

i thought there was just a small pocket of them over here on the north, not quite connected to the main range? but yeah i would say the first is a heath monitor and the second is a lacey. i was told that to tell the difference and easy one is to see the tail pattern, if the black and white is in uniform bands then its a heathy and if the bands are all different in size then its a lacey. but i photographed both around narrabeen area. i got a heathy on the ground near a big termite nest and a lacey up the tree right next to it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back