Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or, you can choose to make your passion a career. There is often hard work and many years of little to no money, frustrations, pressure on other areas of your life, and more than likely, the thing that you originally had a passion for will become as much as chore as anything else, even if it's a chore you still enjoy.

I agree 100%, with me trying make my passion of art into a career I struggled for a long time trying to figure out how. Then I got into digital mediums and started working with graphic design and even then it wasn't easy. I spent 2 years working for almost free and building my contacts, now I easily put food on the table and pay my bills.

But working with web and graphic design works because there is a huge market for it.
If I was to try to turn snakes into my main source of income I could only imagine the many years of hard work with no profit I would have too put in. Right now I enjoy snakes purely as a hobby, yes money goes in and doesn't come back.... but that's just what hobbies are.

No one complains not being able to make money off their fishing hobby, or because their efforts in bike riding isn't landing them in the big time.
Enjoy your reptiles and have fun.... and don't quit you day job LMAO

Nothing turns a much loved hobby into a nightmare than turning it into a business. You move from the driver's seat while it's a hobby (you choose where and when you go...), to the passenger's seat when it's a business - and you have no choice where you are going... or when. As a business, external factors pretty much dictate everything you do with your animals, and this often leaves very little scope for self indulgence.

It's OK, and may be successful if the primary reason for being involved with reptiles is money in the first place, but I don't think that's why most of us are here... certainly not me...

Jamie.

Nothing turns a much loved hobby into a nightmare than turning it into a business. .......

Speaking from experience that is so true. I opened up a pet shop for the love of the animals and soon realised that if profit isn't the number one priority for a business it will go downhill very quickly. And indeed mine did. I spent way too much money trying to give the animals in my shop the best, that other areas of the business suffered to a point of closure and no return. Today, I have no regrets how I treated my animals - I know pet shops cop a caning on animal forums - but I am still paying for it.

Nothing turns a much loved hobby into a nightmare than turning it into a business. You move from the driver's seat while it's a hobby (you choose where and when you go...), to the passenger's seat when it's a business - and you have no choice where you are going... or when. As a business, external factors pretty much dictate everything you do with your animals, and this often leaves very little scope for self indulgence.

It's OK, and may be successful if the primary reason for being involved with reptiles is money in the first place, but I don't think that's why most of us are here... certainly not me...

Jamie.

Very well said, Jamie. I am involved in another hobby, and it could be lucrative, but what a chore it would become! Then again, being involved in Herps in a "sciencey" field does not see me driving a Maserati, nor any other vehicle other than a bicycle, to be honest. But I sleep well.

If you treat it as a hobby you wont be dissappointed. Treat it as a business failure is likely!

Or, you can choose to make your passion a career. There is often hard work and many years of little to no money, frustrations, pressure on other areas of your life, and more than likely, the thing that you originally had a passion for will become as much as chore as anything else, even if it's a chore you still enjoy.
This is where i lie, but i still enjoy the challenges each enclosure brings up...

"If you turn your hobby into your work, you'll never work another day in your life". In the reptile keeping and breeding industry, it is the fortunate few whom have found this to be a success.

I am angry old man and if I can control my self, so can you.[/QUOTE]

Slately..............Are we twins ?

You? Angry? Hahaha. You can talk under water with a mouth full of marbles but I've never seen or heard you get angry at anyone :p

Mostly, I find the outspoken, self justifying, high end breeders too difficult to deal with and I know that I'll be able to get equal quality animals from the same lines a little down the track with far less complication and at a lower price .

It doesn't really matter if you say you have JoeBlake's Speckled Stallion line, if you aren't JoeBlake you have to expect to get less for the line because (a) you didn't get the best of them anyway, he kept them for himself (b) He also sold them to sixteen other breeders and they've released progeny at the same time as you.

It doesn't really matter if you say you have JoeBlake's Speckled Stallion line, if you aren't JoeBlake you have to expect to get less for the line because (a) you didn't get the best of them anyway, he kept them for himself (b) He also sold them to sixteen other breeders and they've released progeny at the same time as you.

shh, you'll give away all the secrets :D

I haven't read all of the 16 pages of cra p, but people in general are becoming tight ars@#% not just in reptiles.

How can someone complain about price speculators and undercutters, when they sell an animal for $8k one year and then $3k the next season? Did the quality of his animals/service lower by that much? Maybe if we can have this explained it would help us to understand the market better as far as future pricing goes.
A mate bought a yearling albino darwin pair for $13k last year - ask him about price speculations.

I think the explanation is very simple. Anyone marketing GTP hatchlings for 8K is not going to sell any, every breeder has to follow the market, it's that simple. There was no jump from 8K to 3K the next season, the decline in price was gradual over the last 4 years. Just in case vitticeps is referring to me, I am selling YEARLINGS (sexed, coloured, well-established) for 3K, not hatchlings. The quality and service didn't lower that much, in fact in improved year by year.

Cheers
M

Last edited:
When it comes to Chondros the price has come down in price compared to last year,and the year before..But it has gratually,it hasnt plummeted as suggested..Hatchies were $4500 a couple seasons,ow there around $1800.same applies to Albino Darwins..so buying sexed yealings for $3000 is a great price..I for one want another 2 however ive gotta buy 2 hatchies and hope i get a pair,or pay that little extra to quarantee in gettin a sexed pair..I no which i prefer...Also if Chondros were on a class 1 then alot more would be sold..my 2 cents worth...

well i know a queensland coastal python breeder so when i get a snake im going to him. its the brother of a close friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back