"other" insect breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boxhed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So everyone's had a crack at breeding crickets.

Lot's have tried woodies.

Mealies seem pretty straight forward.

Silkworms are a fav for the lizards but are only seasonal and pretty labour intensive.

But what other insects are an option to breed? And do you know much about them (high in protien or fat etc)?

Earthworms - High in protein & some fat.

Locusts (grasshoppers)- High in protein & fibre.

Can't give you specifics, only from what I've read on the internet. I'm doing research into these at the moment & will be setting up some breeding tubs soon.

I didn't realise Earthworms were high in protein - I'll have to look into worm farms.

Would love to hear how you go with the grasshoppers... do they require daily greens?

I didn't realise Earthworms were high in protein - I'll have to look into worm farms.QUOTE]

your standers earth worm/ garden worm is actuly difrent to the worms in a worm farm ( i thought they were the same untill my uncle asked me to look after his worm farm when i was 8 and i added garden worms and he explained the difrences)

also iv seen worm farm worms priced at about $500 for 200 and garden worms are free if you dig them your self or are like $100 for about 300ish

I've bred heaps of crowned stick insects, not sure of nutritional value but if I can't get rid of em soon I'll let you know how the frogs liked em!

what about maggots, i use to breed them for my birds and also gave some to the lizards

what about maggots, i use to breed them for my birds and also gave some to the lizards

Maggots are good, especially soldier fly maggots. A quick google search will bring up plenty of info.

also iv seen worm farm worms priced at about $500 for 200 and garden worms are free if you dig them your self or are like $100 for about 300ish

Your way off with price & quantity dossy.
$50 could get you a few thousand worms.

I didn't realise Earthworms were high in protein - I'll have to look into worm farms.

Would love to hear how you go with the grasshoppers... do they require daily greens?

I have given up on breeding my own crickets as it is easy to kill them all with out a lot of attention and much more convenient to have orders of crickets mailed to me as needed. I have been breeding Roaches for years without much drama so they make a good staple.

I also have a worm farm with three different species of 'compost worms' but don't know if any are better than the regular earth worm for nutritional value. All my Water Skinks love them. Not all my lizards think worms are food though.

Grasshoppers are seasonal. I catch adult giant Queensland grasshoppers when ever I can and sometimes keep some as breeders from the ones I had hatch the year before. These adult grasshoppers are kept alive with a constant supply of citrus tree leaves. They mate in Spring and lay eggs in tubs of moist coir peat. I am still waiting for this years first baby grasshoppers to hatch. They do require daily greens but I normally feed all of them out to my lizards the day they hatch.

This is a bit off topic but (whils being on the same topic tho LOL) i got a starter colony of woodies last year around this time and just left them to breed i never touched them once (as in fed them at all, i bought crickets) and within the last 2 weeks my 2 beardies have eaten the WHOLE lol except mabey an odd 20 or so lol

What about "superworms" (Zoophobas Morio)... is anyone breeding them at home?

theyre really easy, just keep them in a deep tub (i use old pots, no lid) in unprocessed wheat bran with a handful of dry cat food and give them a leaf of bok choy or something similar every day, enough that they can all eat but so nothing is left a few hours later. (the good thing about greens is theyre thin and dry out if uneaten so the substrate doesnt get damp and mouldy)

they need to be seperated to morph into beetles (so 1 beetle per coffee cup/ glass etc) which takes about 2 weeks, tehn the beetles go into a seperate deep tub on bran, i give them gutload (couldnt tell if they were coping with the cat bikkies hardnesswise) and greens just like the others. (they get a half egg carton buit to climb all over)

every month or 2 i move that bran/eggs into a seperate container since once the worms start getting bigger they seem to kill and eat the beetles,...

snaIls are another thing to breed, i havent bred them yet, but got my first kilo of baby snails to raise a month ago and might breed them, not sure tho, theyre pretty gross. (as in might just buy a kilo to raise yearly so i dont have to deal with them all winter,..)

Dottyback, where did u find wax worms in Australia? and arent they really high in fat? i remember reading about them on a US forum,...and they said to only use them as treats,..?

theyre really easy, just keep them in a deep tub (i use old pots, no lid) in unprocessed wheat bran with a handful of dry cat food and give them a leaf of bok choy or something similar every day, enough that they can all eat but so nothing is left a few hours later. (the good thing about greens is theyre thin and dry out if uneaten so the substrate doesnt get damp and mouldy)

they need to be seperated to morph into beetles (so 1 beetle per coffee cup/ glass etc) which takes about 2 weeks, tehn the beetles go into a seperate deep tub on bran, i give them gutload (couldnt tell if they were coping with the cat bikkies hardnesswise) and greens just like the others. (they get a half egg carton buit to climb all over)

every month or 2 i move that bran/eggs into a seperate container since once the worms start getting bigger they seem to kill and eat the beetles,...

snaIls are another thing to breed, i havent bred them yet, but got my first kilo of baby snails to raise a month ago and might breed them, not sure tho, theyre pretty gross. (as in might just buy a kilo to raise yearly so i dont have to deal with them all winter,..)

Dottyback, where did u find wax worms in Australia? and arent they really high in fat? i remember reading about them on a US forum,...and they said to only use them as treats,..?
so does it matter that they are all in the same container?? and thanks for that!! i'd be great not having mouldy bedding ._.

Bunnings have worm farms for $50 and about $20 for the worms. I have a worm farm with red and tiger worms in it. My Central and Pygmy beardies will eat them but only if they are really hungry.

Anyone had any luck with feeder fish from the pet shop? My CB loves them. I am trying to breed them at the moment.

Some here i'd not thought of, thanks guys... Gotta sell my reptiles to make room for breeding all the things I now wanna feed my repties...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back