Few Qs about new snake enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane2009

Not so new Member
Reaction score
my enclosure is 4ft long 2.5 ft high and 2 ft wide (made from melamine with sliding glass front), ive installed a 100w red heat bulb (with a light cover) and am trying to get the enclosure ready for when my 1yr old coastal carpet python arrives.
ive got branches and stuff in the enclosure for climbing plus a large water bowl on the cool end, 1 hide on the hot end and 1 hide on a shelf in the cool end. the branches also travel right under the heat bulb to create a basking spot. as for substrate im using breeders choice recycled paper cat litter, supposedly dust free.

now for the questions:
1. where should i put the the thermostat probe?, on the basking spot or to the side of the hot end or on the floor?

2. do i need a heat mat? i have a 20w URS heat mat from a previous enclosure, is this necessary and if yes, can it be connected to the same thermostat as the heat bulb?

3. the enclosure currently only has one vent, its in the middle of the right side of the roof (cool end) is this enough or should i put one on the side of the enclosure aswell, i live in South Australia btw and during summer it gets to 35-40c here pretty often.

please feel free to hand out any advice especially if u see a problem or something i have missed, my beautiful new snake will be here on the 5th of nov, Cant wait! :)

hi there. ill tell you what I can.

1. i would put the thermostat probe in the area that your snake can reach that will get the hottest. eg. if you put it on the floor, the actual basking spot could get way hotter than the temperature on the floor and could overheat your snake.

2.I would use the heat mat if your bulb isn't getting you to the right temperature. you'll need to fiddle around a bit, until you get the right set up.

3. whats the enclosure made of? If its glass, you will probably need more vents because it will insulate the heat.

good luck for your new addition! I use the breeders choice stuff and find it perfectly suitable. easy to clean, absorbs liquids quickly etc. also make sure there are no gaps in your enclosure! snakes can get through the tiniest of holes.

really? cause i noticed huge temperature fluctuations in my old glass enclosures? i though perspx or something was better?

only the sliding doors are made of glass
the rest is melamine board or something,

Put another vent in. It's best one on top and one on the bottom side on the opposite side to the other vent fir air flow

So your saying put a vent at the bottom on the hot end, and at the top of the cool end?
Sorry to kinda hijack your thread :(

Will

The heat bulb should generate enough heat being 100w, though just check with a thermometer before hand to see the temps reached esp right below the lamp (basking spot at hot end). Another vent as Just_PLain_Nuts has suggested would be great for proper air flow too, other than that, sounds like a good set up your little coastal should enjoy 8)

my thoughts are...

the probe should be at the basking spot, the basking spot should reach between 34-36 degrees, with the inclusion of varied basking heights provided by the branch under the lamp as you have stated this could allow for the spot closer to the lamp to be set at around 36 and the lower level to reach around 34 as a basking spot, the cool end should be able to reach mid 20s, this will allow the animal to maximize all available temps for thermoregulation.

A heat mat should not be necessary in this setup, as required temps should be reached but may be useful as a backup source should the lamp fail.

More than one vent would be beneficial to promote airflow and reduce stagnant air. provided there is not a draft additional air vents should not be a problem, I personally favour an excess of vents.

quote "i live in South Australia btw and during summer it gets to 35-40c here pretty often" out of curiosity is this enclosure being housed outdoors? Coastal carpet pythons even if housed in an enclosure with 'controlled' temperatures are not suitable to living subject to environmental conditions and fluctuations associated with SA climate.

One other consideration which is solely dependent on the animals current housing is that the enclosure may be too large if the animal is coming from a click clack set up. if this is the case management of security/stress is important by exaggerating security with additional hides and cover and ensuring a settling in period.

So your saying put a vent at the bottom on the hot end, and at the top of the cool end?
Sorry to kinda hijack your thread :(

Will
There is no hard and fast rule with this. Generally if you put a vent on the top of the hot end and one on the bottom of the cool end it will produce better airflow because of convection but will also require more heating. Whereas the other way round will produce less airflow but also less heating. You need to judge this as to your specific needs of your snake and your heating.

the vent thats on the cool end is on the left side of the lid, not the actual left side of the enclosure. so where should i make the new vent? the hot side is against a wall. also to make the vent should i just drill some holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back