Sexing a snake, must see

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

najanaja

Reaction score
now im not sure if im old school or what not..

i use probes to sex all my snakes and never had a problem..
some of my smaller Antaresia use fishing line to probe..

i still beleive i have a knack of veiwing the tail to get a rough idea,
but have been wrong when the snakes poop 10 minutes later and i never guarentee it..

now i have seen this..

i think this could do more damage if it is done incorrect..

it this the way we do it and im just old school ?
or do we have another cowboy inthe herp world..

Ps. if this is done regulary, how old/ what size before it can be done safely..

Pss.. if this is old news feel free to delete this thread.

[video=youtube;76Q3xKf7lX4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Q3xKf7lX4&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
wow. ok that was pretty intense.

why would you use fishing line to sex a snake? id be so worried about the potential harm to be caused

wow, great video, i have seen vets do this with dragons but not pythons

Yeh, that's "popping" isn't it? Not typically recommended but it can be done if you know what you are doing. I'll stick to the probes thanks! :p

This is what people do when they talk about "popping" their snakes to sex them. It's very common to do it with hatchlings that are only a few days old as they dont have very strong mussles in that area just after hatching & they "pop" easily.

does it ever get caught? i dont even understand how this would work

i do it with a strong line and i burn the ends to keep it smooth..
then i lube it up and do it the same way i do with a thin probe..
it was shown to me by my reptile vet who also looks after all the reptiles and birds for Currimbin Sanctuary,
so i trust him and it works..

it looks awful
it surely would have to be done really carefully....wouldnt it ????

can it be done just like in the video, or is there more skill to it that what he showed
... ?

Popping is best done (as said) a few days after hatching...its very easy with no muscle control and (the males especially) pop very easily...no damage done.
I use this technique with my hatchlings and have never had a problem...much safer than probing, especially at a young age, probing can cause more damage if done incorrectly.

That video is an interesting way of doing it with adults though....looks easy but it takes an experienced person to do it..

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back