Feeding?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is very odd. I have been feeding my yearling Spotted Python fuzzy mice one every 10 days. Apparently 7-10 days is ideal, but a local herpetologist told me that 10 days is way too frequent and that i should feed him once a fortnight. he then said that if the mice i feed my snake are wet, my snake can suffocate as they breathe, but cant snakes breathe thru their noses? Thanks :)

You have been told a load of dribble!
We feed wet rodents when resorting to thawed feed ( which is not that often)
and never have had a problem.
As for feeding, every 7 days is fine for juvie snakes after all this is when they need food conversion for growth.
All our hatchie/juvies are fed every3 days untill 4 months old and then every 4 days untill 12 months old, then out to every 7 days.

Last edited:
He really annoyed me. I said I fed him once every 10 days and he talked to me as if i were an idiot and told me thats overfeeding. Then I said he was in a 45cm cubed Exo Terra tank and he said they can escape and its too big. Then he said wet rodents can choke snakes and kill them.

hey, i dont have a snake :(, but wouldnt it make sense to feed it once its pooped....
my friend has a snake , so i know how the process goes :)

He really annoyed me. I said I fed him once every 10 days and he talked to me as if i were an idiot and told me thats overfeeding. Then I said he was in a 45cm cubed Exo Terra tank and he said they can escape and its too big. Then he said wet rodents can choke snakes and kill them.
did the person who told u this dribble own any snakes ?

hey, i dont have a snake :(, but wouldnt it make sense to feed it once its pooped....
nope i feed mine even if they havnt pooped , do u wait until your beardie poops before feeding it again ?

Snakes can actually benefit from wet thawed rodents as this also aids in keeping them hydrated. In fact snakes actually generate a good amount of their own saliva when feeding to enable the food to go down easier. It would be very unlikely that they suffocate from a bit of water as they can extend their windpipe so it sits just outside their mouth enabling them to breathe and consume their meal simultaneously.

mmmmmmmmm well I have seen my water pythons actually grab their feed into the water tub and eat it almost underwater now...

"My friend has a snake, so I know how the process goes..." Your friend, I'm afraid, is no wiser than you lizardboi... there is an occasionally held misconception that you only feed a snake after it defecates. Absolute nonsense, in some cases snakes don't defecate for weeks, so waiting will lead to malnutrition in the long-term. I don't understand the reasoning behind this - is it because you don't think there's enough room in the snake's body to accommodate waste and a new meal?

Does a snake in the wild, when confronted with a tasty meal, think to itself 'Hmmm... I'd like to eat that but I haven't had a bog this week... so I'll just have to let it go...?"

Jamie.

It's fine.

Just a matter of interest - snakes have a very mobile trachea (windpipe), this is located in the front floor of the throat. You'll see it if you look closely when a snake has just got the last of it's meal swallowed, and is just pulling the tail of a rodent into it's still-open mouth. When eating large prey which would suffocate any other animals, the trachea can be projected forward so that it is not blocked or otherwise obstructed by the food item. If you ever see a video, or you watch a real snake swallow a very large meal and the head is upside down, you can see the windpipe is pushed forward to a point where the opening is outside the stretched skin of the mouth. The snake trachea, like ours, is made up of rings of cartilage so that it doesn't compress or collapse under pressure.

Your advisor speaks through his bottom...

Jamie.

You have been told a load of dribble!
We feed wet rodents when resorting to thawed feed ( which is not that often)
and never have had a problem.
As for feeding, every 7 days is fine for juvie snakes after all this is when they need food conversion for growth.
All our hatchie/juvies are fed every3 days untill 4 months old and then every 4 days untill 12 months old, then out to every 7 days.

your feeding your snakes too often beeman , young herpers are going to see this and use this feeding plan thinking its a suitable method coming from such a positive, knowledgeable herper such as your self....over feeding even when young can cause long term problems and effects ,i don't care what you say, powerfeeding is wrong and will effect the snakes long term health.

your feeding your snakes too often beeman , young herpers are going to see this and use this feeding plan thinking its a suitable method coming from such a positive, knowledgeable herper such as your self....over feeding even when young can cause long term problems and effects ,i don't care what you say, powerfeeding is wrong and will effect the snakes long term health.

I detect a note of sarcasim in you post!

All the animals i breed and have bred are not power fed as you put it, it is a feeding plan that we use to develop our animals when they need it to grow.
One thing to take note of is i did not mention feed size at all with the intervals used.
As i stated this is not "powerfeeding" as you put it!

What constitutes "power feeding"? How much? How often? Both? Are there any guidelines as to how much food is too much?

Regaurdless of wether or not you would class it powerfeeding it's a load to say it causes problems, please show me some conclusive evidence that disproves it, UWS have shown their evidence. Twice a week when young is fine, and I'm not sure how much more proof people desire than a university study into the affects of 'powerfeeding'.

If you don't like it, don't do it simple, but I'm not trying to tell you how to keep, feed and breed your snakes, don't try tell 'us' especially if you havn't tried it, then you've no idea.

Is it just me, or are the people that call themselves herpetologists always the ones to be warey of? Even though we could all claim to be amatuar herpetologists, surely only flogs call themselves that! The info you have been given is all dribble. Continue feeding your snake the way you are & it will be happy & healthy.

As for feeding young snakes 2 meals a week- I don't know if there would be long term health problems, but for me, it just doesn't/wouldn't feel natural.

Regaurdless of wether or not you would class it powerfeeding it's a load to say it causes problems, please show me some conclusive evidence that disproves it, UWS have shown their evidence. Twice a week when young is fine, and I'm not sure how much more proof people desire than a university study into the affects of 'powerfeeding'.

If you don't like it, don't do it simple, but I'm not trying to tell you how to keep, feed and breed your snakes, don't try tell 'us' especially if you havn't tried it, then you've no idea.

you have no idea what iv tried and what i haven't, i know countless ''heroes'' that powerfeed and most also cut corners as well , lack of perches for climbing is a good example ;)
so please don't try to talk to me like you know your stuff better then i do...because you simple don't.

as with most animals on this earth ,the less they are fed the longer they live and healthier they are, the more they are feed the more trouble they have down the track , in many other species if not fed the right food and in controlled amounts, can grow too quickly and develop all sorts of problems.you shouldn't base your comments just on studies , also use your experience and common sense.

Last edited:
you have no idea what iv tried and what i haven't, i know countless ''heroes'' that powerfeed and most also cut corners as well , lack of perches for climbing is a good example ;)
so please don't try to talk to me like you know your stuff better then i do...because you simple don't.

as with most animals on this earth ,the less they are fed the longer they live and healthier they are, the more they are feed the more trouble they have down the track , in many other species if not fed the right food and in controlled amounts, can grow too quickly and develop all sorts of problems.you shouldn't base your comments just on studies , also use your experience and common sense.

And the proof in this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back