Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to be a lot of talk about it not being a proven genetic trait etc for the money being asked. Anyone ever considered someone may just want to buy this bhp as a very nice looking pet and not worry too much about breeding and proving a line?

I know for most in the hobby that seem rediculous but some people actually do that:shock: Plenty spend more on hobbies that don't reproduce to pay back the initial outlay.

its worth twice as much as a normal one...its only a 'colour morph'... untill its 'proven'.. then ask a ridiculous price.. jumping the gun i think....

I realise theres only a couple around...If i had the $$ to buy this animal...I WOULD.. as previously mentioned,what would the siblings turn out to be,hets or if any would in fact have the bumblebee colour..if so what ratio....Alot of $$$ just to buy for a pet thou...but such a stunning snake like this would turn alot of heads,especially when-if theres hatchies around....

How do you think you get colours in any species? Look at what has been done with BHPs without a tool like that. It's very likely going to be inheritable. Just when you get two light womas you get light babies, it might take a few generations but it would happen. Definatley worth more than double a normal one. Even then it's an attractive animal and if nothing came of it, a nice pet. I've known people that bought albino darwins when they were 6keach with no intentions to ever bred and just kept them as pets, you'd be suprised how many people pay good money and don't intend to breed their animals.

what talk of hybrids? I dont see where thats been implied either on the forums or behind the scenes

codered, you have misinterpreted my post, i am not in the slightest inferring that these 'bumblebees' are hybrids, quite the contrary, i agree that they are exceptionally coloured bhp's. what i am saying is that because no genetic trait is proven, and calling them a "bumblebee" implies a genetic characteristic, it should be made clear that it is unproven. i was referring to the many threads on 'hybrid' locality carpets and the infidels who sell mongrels;) as being unscrupulous for not telling the purchaser that they are buying a genetically inferior snake;)

when there was only one, then fine, the word 'bumblebee' was that animal's name and people accepted that. now the term is being used to imply a trait, which is unproven.

buy a pretty snake, or buy an unproven gene, either way it should be made clear because no guarantee can be provided. personally, i lean towards the likelihood of a genetic trait, but because it's unproven it cannot be claimed to have any special make-up.

Last edited:
codered, you have misinterpreted my post, i am not in the slightest inferring that these 'bumblebees' are hybrids, quite the contrary, i agree that they are exceptionally coloured bhp's. what i am saying is that because no genetic trait is proven, and calling them a "bumblebee" implies a genetic characteristic, it should be made clear that it is unproven. i was referring to the many threads on 'hybrid' locality carpets and the infidels who sell mongrels;) as being unscrupulous for not telling the purchaser that they are buying a genetically inferior snake;)

buy a pretty snake, or buy an unproven gene, either way it should be made clear because no guarantee can be provided. personally, i lean towards the likelihood of a genetic trait, but because it's unproven it cannot be claimed to have any special make-up.

Ahh, no probs I get where you are comming from now

Thanks to all the people who e-mailed or rang me about this reptile for sale early yesterday and of course today. Sorry to those who missed out on it but I decided to sell it to a very keen W.A keeper in Perth, which in my opinion is a good result considering there is a blanket ban on the importation of pythons into this state. I will stay in contact with this keeper and offer assistance in any way I can to help him eventually achieve what many want and that is for this morph to be reproduced for everyone across Australia to have access to in the future. Yes , it remains to be seen whether or not the yellow is recessive or not. For those that thought the price tag was high, the many that wanted to purchase it yesterday, clearly did not agree with you. I was offered a similar amount on more than one occasion for the specimen that got stolen in QLD.

Regards Dave

I will also add that I copped a fair bit of criticism when I exported the original specimen outside of W.A by lots of W.A keepers. And I guess I now understand where they were coming from.

Didnt know the stolen one was yours as well Dave.......
You obviously came across the second one a while after ?
Hope one day its returned back into your possesion mate.

Thanks mungus, finding the second just makes the first one stolen even more of a tragedy and the whole theft thing has really put me off hence partly the reason I decided to move it on.
I am know longer going to keep any special reptiles in the short tern at least. These days I prefer exploring new areas and filming reptiles rather than keeping them.

Of further interest to some, last year I came across a wild hatchling that did display a strong yellow hue compared to any other I had seen ( yes I know that many hatchling have a slight yellow hue anyway ) but unfortunately it died for reasons beyond me.

Good luck with it all Dave,
Hopefully the chap will have some success breeding the bubblebee.
Cheers,
Aleks.

Hi Dave, to find two and possibly the third, can you elaborate on any of your thoughts regarding the rarity of this morph now?

Sorry to say in a sitution like that you took advantage of a relatively new color morph & milked it for as much cash as you could.

I'm sure it cost you next to nothing being that it came from the wild right?...It's a shame that certain people are in the hobby purely for the profit.

12 thousand dollars for a BHP that happens to look different, genetics haven't even been established.

I'm sure the post will be deleted & I'll most likely get in drama over it but I don't care because it's bloody well true & I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking it!

Oh suck it up itbites.

Its only money.

If someone is willing to pay $12,000 for a different looking BHP so be it. People shell out over $65,000 for a BMW and others stick to there ****ty $3,000 Ford Laser. Inheritable gentics or not, its a great looking animal.

does anyone else know there is a german product that you can feed to reptiles that contains xanthanins and carotenes....
i imported some a few years back and i made a yellowish belly black snake with it, but couldn't make a bumblebee bhp unfortunately, oh well so much for that get rich quick scheme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back