spiney tailed monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick71

Reaction score
Hiya everyone, i just bought my first spiney tailed monitor and was wondering what colours they come in, i was told mine was a yellow phase?, and also what food is good for them. i am currently feeding him/her crickets and woodies.009.jpg007.jpg

red and yellow phase, a better name to call them is "ackies" or "ridge tailed monitor" some people wont know what your talking about

Nice looking Ackies you have there, I also feed mine on mice and cut up quails and kangaroo meat as well as crickets and roaches and as lisardboii said the come in red and yellow but both of these forms vary from person to person here is a photo of my male AckieView attachment 170863

just thought I should add... if you arent feeding them vertebrates then you need to give them supplements :) Just like you would with a beardie. Im jealous, I dont have my monitors yet, still a way off

thanks everyone, Varanidae, thats a good looking ackie you have there, how or when can you tell the sex of them? is there a big difference between males and females or is it hard to tell, mine was originally purchased from the newcastle reptile expo this march so i can only imagine it would be about 9mths(?) old.

The easiest way I have found is take a close look at the spurs as the males are different to the females, it is easier if you have two to compare with, but if you don't you can take a good photo of the spur area and blow the photo up and post it and we will have a look

this may sound like a really dumb question, but i have no idea where on the ackie you are talking about....the claws or the vent area? i am really new to this species

hey, i have a WA sandfire phase ridge tail monitor and he looks like yours. You can also feed them pinky rats, they love them. I dont think yours is a yellow phase. The nickname 'ackie' comes from their scientific name Varanus Acanthurus.

Varanidae, thats a good looking ackie you have there,2end that :D

Very easy to keep and great captives! Make sure they have a nice big water bowl, it could help with shedding issues. Feed them roaches, crickets, mince, pinky mice etc - no veggies needed.

Don't forget to add calcium and vitamin supplements to their food and give them UV light to stop the development of metabolic bone disease.

They love a HOT basking spot.. my basking spot can get up past 70 degrees and they lie under it a lot! They like it hot hot hot.

Also like plenty of hiding spaces so make sure you give them some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back