Newbie help- woma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa5

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie to this site. I have an 8 yr old spotted, that I've had since a hatchling, who is great, but has her moments, 2x beardies and a 10 mth old bredli, who is fantastic. I'm thinking about getting a tanami woma hatchling in the new year, seem a great snake and love the look of them, but I'm worried about their strong feeding response. This may be a silly question, but does this mean they will try and get you every time you put your hand in to change their water etc... Any help would be great :)

Hi there dont worrie bout there feeding response once you get to know their habits and ways they are all good!!

They have a strong feeding response which means that for most Womas, anything going into the cage is a possible food source when they are active. However, most times they will be in their hide (like most snakes) so water changes can be done without too much worry...If you are considering getting one and you are concerned about this, you can cover their hide whilst doing any cleanups/changes etc.

I find with mine (I have 3 x SA Womas) that they are fine once out but if active in the cage and you need to change water or cleanup they tend to need a little watching or your hand may be fair game (havnt been bitten yet...so far my reflexes are quicker). Mine are only about 11 months old so may quieten down a little. Interesting to hear from those who have kept them for a while and have multiple ones what their temperaments are.

I dont know if snakes can sense fear but I think that if you are hesitant then this can make them nervous. I am a bit of a wuss so I always initially handle all my snakes with a hook...this lets them know I am there and tends not to make them as jumpy.

My woma is without a doubt the calmest state i have. No need to use a hook, just reach in and grab him. However, everything you dangle a rat infront of him, he smashes it!

Woma's are fantastic, hope to get a few more this upcoming season.......

Thanks, this makes sense. I'm a bit of a wuss too and use the hook first as well. You do get to know your snake and their ways as time goes by.It would be good to hear from owners of other womas.

Mine goes crazy when there's rats in the room defrosting. But other than that, I can just go in the cage and take her out with no hook. Different story with my bredli tho. haha

without a doubt when its feed time all 6 of my tanami`s think anything is open for food . i have had one or 2 bite there side of the click clack thinking it was food . on a non food/feed day they are fine .

2 of my tanamis are so docile when feeding i have to ruff them up to respond! and the ulurus love food

My tanami woma is the most placid snake I've EVER kept. Never tried to bite. He does not have a strong feeding response either. He will slowly open his mouth and take it from my hands. On the other hand, I've had one that would smash you every time you put your hand in the enclosure.

I would rather stick my hand in our 6ft Jungle enclosures, than the Woma juvi's enclosures...... :lol:
I can't guarantee my reflexes are quicker than theirs :lol:

My RHDs are extremely placid. Easy handlers, never even struck at me, enthusiastic feeders, fast growing, & great looking snakes. Love em, would recommend a woma to anyone.

my local breeder has a clutch bout to hatch along with bhps if anyones interested

Last fortnight I got my woma pair, Fed them last week expecting a show they were just grab and eat like a normal snake I was Dissipionted. But last night they both just went crazy! just biting everything launching them selves at the thongs trying to get the mouse it was entertaining to say the least I was not expecting it at all. But non-feeding times they are super Calm and never show aggression.

So with a regular feed routine and time, they should be happy bubs. Also does it help to get them out and feed them in a different container, other than in their enclosure. I've never done this before with my other snakes, but was wondering if it would help with the womas.

I've coped a few big bites from my womas but only when I've become a bit too complaicent. Once they realize your not food they are calm as. Definately my favorite snakes to keep.

I find with mine (I have 3 x SA Womas) that they are fine once out but if active in the cage and you need to change water or cleanup they tend to need a little watching or your hand may be fair game (havnt been bitten yet...so far my reflexes are quicker). Mine are only about 11 months old so may quieten down a little. Interesting to hear from those who have kept them for a while and have multiple ones what their temperaments are.

I have 7 SA womas & have been keeping & breeding them for many years, I have yet to find another snake that has such a terrific personality, inquisitive yet very calm natured, even the many wild ones I have encountered never show aggression.
Now a feeding response is different, dont get between a woma that smells food & its dinner as it will go for anything that moves.
A good feeding regime for the novice is to remove the animal from its enclosure to a large plastic tub for feeding, when eating is complete & the snake relaxed take it back out & put back into its normal enclosure, this way it will not associate the opening of its enclosure with food entering ie: your hand.
Cheers, Paul:)

A good feeding regime for the novice is to remove the animal from its enclosure to a large plastic tub for feeding, when eating is complete & the snake relaxed take it back out & put back into its normal enclosure, this way it will not associate the opening of its enclosure with food entering ie: your hand.
I've had the opposite, I feed all my snakes in their enclosures, womas included, & have never had them strike at me if I'm reaching in for cleaning, water top up, getting the snake out etc. If it's feeding time, I use tongs, & once they've taken it, that's the last contact I have with them for a few days. As other have said, I don't even bother hooking the womas, just pick them up they're so laid back.
Everyone keeps their animals differently, & it can also depend on the particular snake how you deal with handling, feeding etc.

If you handle womas with some regularity as juvies, 99% of them become docile as can be. If you never handle them and feed them sparingly they can become "hungry" and sometimes latch on to you for no apparent reason. I have a handfull of womas and they have never bitten me except when I do something stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back