Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but could you imagine the political backlash if people were told it was illegal to protect themselves from swarms of viscious snakes? Unfortunatley the general lack of knowledge regarding the dangers of snakes means the legislation must be worded that way to be politically acceptable. It basically means that there will always be a justification for killing snakes.

I mean the wording "they honestly believed" is a defense. So if I claim that I thougt a carpet was a Tiapan then I'm not guilty of any offence.

Ok so as much as i am Pro snake i have lived on several properties out bush (not quite as bush like the Jones') but my stepmum, dad, sister and i all together. i have gotten up to go feed the horses and in on trip have come across not 1 brown snake but 9 and i had no qualms in chopping off their heads and tossing them into the manure pile! i put my safety and my family's safety first! If that was the first 9 of the day at 8am then that was 9 less to contend with.

I ask for those that are so disgusted with this act hypothetically: if you had a young child of crawling age out the back on a property like that and a brown snake came along and was about to strike, knowing it would possibly kill your kid, would you chop or relocate?

at least reinie had the sense to put milton jr's safety first. What would have happened if that juvi had bitten him? we don't know the reprocussions so we can't judge.

ssshazza said:
Absolutely disgusting!!! I urge all of you to make a written complaint about the killing of native wildlife on a national television program! AND it was directly after a Veterinary program....
I hope National Parks get involved, why shouldn't they be fined for killing a native animal????

Send complaints to:

Contact Us | Channel Ten

SO ANGRYRIGHT NOW!!!!
please tell me how this is any different to putting a brumby down on TV? that is a wild and native animal on large properties and are also beautiful animals.

both my brothers know how to identify different snakes as i showed them at early ages but that doesn't mean that i would say "hey Gus, EBS go relocate it", no way i'd chop its head off then mash it like mash potato so my 6yr old brother wouldn't touch its fangs!
Seriously if anyone is offended by this post tough! my family come first always, i guard them with my life. it's not illegal to kill native snakes coz ive done it most my life and am yet to be carted off in a patty wagon and go to juvi court or be fined!

yeah my ex was the same way when he killed a brown snake was happy as ever, i was not happy about it when i got home from the hospital after having our first little girl.

I think you'll find that Brumbys are not an indigenous species.

The law is very ambiguous. Like someone said earlier the "honestly believed" part means it's impossible for anybody to get in trouble. All they have to say is that they honestly believed it was a deadly snake going to bite them and they can do whatever they like.

hypothetically: if you had a young child of crawling age out the back on a property like that and a brown snake came along and was about to strike, knowing it would possibly kill your kid, would you chop or relocate?
What does that have to do with anything? That wasn't the scenario at all.

please tell me how this is any different to putting a brumby down on TV? that is a wild and native animal on large properties and are also beautiful animals.
Brumbies are feral animals NOT native. They should all be wiped out.

they may not be an indigenous species (thank you for that :) ) but how still how is it any different?

I ask for those that are so disgusted with this act hypothetically: if you had a young child of crawling age out the back on a property like that and a brown snake came along and was about to strike, knowing it would possibly kill your kid, would you chop or relocate?

Firstly... the kid isnt crawling age. Secondly the snake was no where near the kid. Of course the safety of the animal comes second to your own child... however the kid was not in immediate risk from this snake.

Having a child of my own... if I was in the same situation I personally would have praised my child for alerting me and used it as a learning opportunity to teach the child the species and what to do when they see one.

But.. this is all personal opinions aside... they should not have aired it, along with having a croc strapped to the back of the truck in the hot days sun while they go through the drive through. And my complaint has already been registered but what better place to have a debate about snakes than a snake forum. It puzzles me why some people get so cranky about on topic debates, why the heck are you guys on forums at all?

they may not be an indigenous species (thank you for that :) ) but how still how is it any different?

Brown snake is native. The implications on animals that look like brown snakes to the untrained eye but are endangered species. THATS the difference. Just because you think a pony is pretty doesn't mean it has more right to live than a snake or legless lizard.

That snake would have been so incrediably easy to relocate. Seriously, all you need to get that guy safely away from people is a stick and a bucket. It always amazes me that people seem to think snakes are out to get them. I've relocated a few snakes and every time they run away from me. The last tiger I moved was docile as, the old guy whose house he was in was amazed at how easily it was to catch him. 10 seconds, snake in a bag. Also it's not hard to learn how to catch snakes! Hell my grandfather with no experience uses a garden fork to scoop up snakes and drop them over the fence into a bit of bush.

Firstly these people aren't city slickers thrown into the bush, they are country folk, which means they have lived with herps and should know how to handle them. The first thing they should have taught their kids, from as early age as possible, is that snakes are potentially dangerous and not to touch but to tell mum or dad. Secondly they have a croc as a pet and deal with crocs all the time, meaning they should be able to handle a simple baby brown. This would be like showing Steve Irwin killing a snake because it came onto his property.
My inlaws live out near Griffith and everybody in the area of the small town they live in knows how to ID ALL reptiles in their vicinity. My son at 4 told his Poppy not to go into a field because he saw a Brown in there (P.s WE live in Sydney). Admittedly some will kill them but most just shoo them away.
The vast majority of snake bites come from people trying to kill the snake. Attacking the snake is only going to piss the snake off more and force it to defend itself.
Personally, I blame the producers for trying to make the show more interesting (lets bring some danger in to get more viewers) It wouldn't amaze me to find out that the snake was caught and put there for ratings.
A couple of years ago there was a story in the local paper about Spot, the heroic wonder dog in Kellyville, Sydney. The vacant lot next door to their house had a Black, that gave birth to babys that started entering their yard and Spot would kill them all. I rang the paper and told them it was illegal to kill native animals and the family could be fined for this so the paper wrote a second story saying that the family should have called WIRES, the council etc to have all of them removed, not killed. This shows education can go a long way.
In the end the Joneses probably know better, and it is all just a grab for ratings. It is up to us to EDUCATE these producers and write to them telling them that these things are wrong (I am). The best way to hurt them is in the ratings.....Simply don't watch.

Most people don't like snakes - fact. A good one is a dead one (regardless of legalities) in their minds...they don't care, and won't ever care. It's a simple case of eliminating a deadly hazzard. If you asked them, or they had one wish, it'd be that they never see another snake again on their property. A bite all the way out there could be lethal considering medical access, not to mention costly.

Personally I love the show :p

they shouldnt have killed protected fauna, on film, then shown it on tv, then said its the only option

I had a rant about it at work today but it came as no surprise to me that all my colleagues agreed with the show and thought it was right that they killed the snake given the presence of a small child....
interesting to not that it was the child who was doing the right thing by standing away from the snake and it was quite appearent to me that Little Milton was in absolutely no danger at all however the adults who should know better are the ignorant un-educated ones who know nothing about snakes. all they had to do was move the snake 500 meters from the house yard and they would never have a problem with it again.
but ofcourse they don't understand that.

WHAT A LOAD OF ABSOLUTE RUBBISH THINKING SOME OF YOU HAVE!!! I have raised 4 kids in RURAL bushland encountering EASTERN BROWNS and REDBELLIED BLACKS often on a daily basis EDUCATE YOUR CHILDREN...DONT SHOW THEM YOUR PANIC AND INSTILL INTO THEIR OWN LITTLE HEADS TO OVER REACT!! KILLING IT ISNT THE ANSWER....teaching them to stay still and call for mummy or daddy is a way better thing or one day silly parents that show this type of behaviour may get a rude shock that their child took matters into their own hands and tried to copy what they had been shown by the redneck thinking and slam a shovel down on a snake only missing the snake cutting off a toe and to top it off get bitten ...senario is just as real as arr its a venomous snake so it must wanna automatically want to do my family harm ...YOUR KIDS HAVE MORE CHANCE OF DYING IN A CAR ACCIDENT then encountering a DEADLY FATAL BITE from a snake ...

I've noticed you only see black and white. Get in the grey ;). You have completely ignored half the argument, choosing to only hear yours. There is an area of compromise..... Deadly + kids + close to home + living in middle of nowhere = kill. Harmless + any situation = dont kill. Deadly + suburbia = personal choice.

Dicky yeah fully can comprehend that as a parent of 4 myself ,I would go to all means of protecting my brood as well ...BUT in all honesty what does it say about a REPTILE FORUM that is suppose to have passion and respect for all reptiles including the more deadly bunch ,if say a newbe or non loving reptile person ventures on here and takes a read at the so called snake lovers site and reads its OK to kill snakes cause its better then educating your family on what is the best approach ...

How do we get that point across ,if some of our members support the act itself ?

Simple, you just need to accept that not everybody shares your views. Move on and stop attacking people for not sharing your view.

Brodak..THIS is a reptile forum which means ALL reptiles ..now majority own non vens ,this is true ,but alot also either own vens or deal with vens ..I understand the implications of FEAR ...but as it being a reptile forum ,and not only have I pointed out but as others have said as well ,killing it was totally uncalled for ..regardless of kids ,whom like myself and many on here have either sucessfully grown their children up or are living with kids in the outback/bush and have lived with snakes including vens ,never felt the need to kill ,We either took the kids away or taught them to stand still and call for help...the last thing ya want to promote on a reptile forum is its ok to kill first n ask questions later...the people that commented on NOT killing ,most have and still either own or work with vens so they're not talking through their hat ,and as I said I am a parent so protecting my kids attitude is part of my instinct too ...but allowing them to learn a better way to deal with some of our more lethal wildlife is far better to teach them ,then showing them a shovel is the only answer ...had that snake been of the non venomous type and was shown a shovel on TV ...bet ya hairys that APS outrage would have been in overkill ..but like I said ,vens cop a bad wrap because of fear and ignorance and media hype and was hoping that at least on a reptile forum this could be defused but unfortunantly its to no avail ...

Just have to say my little bit and its going to be little lol

The show is a joke! The owner of the property is a complete up him self cow boy ****er.. They have absolutely no respect for the animals of Australia or the land they don't deserve

Lewy

Yep our family friends now this family through the bush telegraph and apparently they're not so great. The wife often comes to polo meetings all bruised black and blue, so everything is not as it seems ... but then that's TV for you.

I can't believe people still don't understand why they killed the snake.. Yes, they could have relocated it but what farmer has time to take a snake and drive a few kms from home to let it go? None. They killed it because if they ignored it or moved it a small distance away the chance was there that it would be back and in the wrong place at the wrong time leading to a potentially deadly bite. Killing it negates that risk.. how is that hard to comprehend?

agreed to a degree but little milton is being tought how to drive a car ride a horse catch croc so to me he is well advanced for his age. if he can do the above he can surely understand snake! if you live in the bush you expect bush fires same as if you live country expect snakes. 100% wrong IMO and I will lodge a written complaint with network 109 if there link ever works(conveiently)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back