Flightless fruitflies in aus?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
If there are out there this someone here must know. Does anyone know if flightless in fruitflies are available in aus? If so where can i obtain some?

They are used in University Biology Labs for demonstration of both selective pressure and F1 and F2 generation traits. When I performed this lab I was told by the tutor all drosophila must be euthanized to prevent the mutated gene from being released into the native population. Wether or not they are available for private use I am unsure, contact University of Queensland Biological Sciences and they may be able to provide further detail.

cheers i emailed a few science departments to see if the can help, UQ one you mentioned was one of those :)

snakeluvver, they are a great food for small frogs, lizards and invertebrates

Also for fish, i was looking for them for awhile too john old boy. But other then laboratory use im not sure if just anyone can get there hands on them.

do you remember marks mate from WA jordan (UrodacusAU) i found a post of his on the perth cichlid society forum and he said he used to keep them and there is a supplier of this way so by the sounds of it they are around in private hands

fruitwalk sounds so much more exotic and exclusive :)

Hornet, I use to get them from the entomology dept at UQ,curly winged ones. If you dont get an answer I will see if I can get some for you.

Hornet, I use to get them from the entomology dept at UQ,curly winged ones. If you dont get an answer I will see if I can get some for you.

cheers mate, i'll let you know if i hear anything :)

I dont remember anyone on any of the invert forums man lol, i dont think there is any reason too remember any of them.

I second Crocodile_dan; the University of Queensland has them in their labs. A quick look on their websites should yield some info on who to contact to get some.

University of Queensland Biological resources dosent have any, I can save you that email,you need to get in contact with entomology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back