how to tame a snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsi111

Reaction score
hey every one

I was just wondering how you would tame a baby snake
the reason i am asking this is because i found that my snake is a fare bit snappy and was wondering how to train him to be more calm.
or is this just how they act as baby's?

also hears some info you might need:
1. he\her is 9months old-70cm long
2. housing is a melamine enclosure 900-450-450mm
3. I feed every 2 weeks but might start to weekly if possible

also after him\her eating should i wait a couple days before handling?

just keep holding him don`t handle him a couple of days b4 feeding and don`t handle untill it has a crap keep feeding him every 2 weeks and just keep holding if possible 15mins a day this is just in m experance

If you swallow a spoonful of cement it wont hurt as much either
BTW this is meant in good humour.

Last edited:
"Tame" is probably not the right word. No snakes are tame, they will only ever tolerate some forms of handling, some better than others. Reptiles do not desire human company(unless they're after body heat, lol) so there is no way to tame them. What type is he out of curiosity.

Yeah, i would just handle him for a few minutes a few times a week, he will settle down. But if he starts to go really crazy on you its best to put it back and try again another week. Theres no point stressing him out, it will just make it worse. Work with him, and if he quiets down, then good for you. But its never a guarantee with reptiles. Also make sure he has plenty of hiding places etc, no high traffic zones etc etc.

I would start feeding weekly at that age. He might just be hungry even. But it depends on the size of your feed.

You need to prove:

1. you are not going to harm him
2. that biting is not an effective form of defense against you
3. you are actually useful and your presence is beneficial

this applies to all animals. and also means you need to do as garthy said... be immune to the pain... and have tons of patience.

If the biting really scares you, its going to be a lot harder to get him to stop biting. Cause if biting makes the big scary thing go away, of course the biting will continue.

Also, you can try feeding outside the enclosure... so that the bub doesn't associate something coming into the enclosure as food.

BUT all that said, its their instinct as bubs to bite first ask questions later :) Apparently they grow out of it.

Everything giggle said, as well as I handled my snake at least once a day for twenty minutes after I got him, as the breeder I got him from told me to. In a week he'd gone from angry bitey to just a bit jumpy. A month later and he was still a little bit jumpy but good as gold otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back