glass cutting?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexis

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok so i got thiss enclosure on the weekend and when it was taken out to the ute one of the doors smashed :shock: i could have cried:cry: any way i found some more glass but 2.5 cm to long any way in the past i have tried one of thosse glass cutting tools from bunnings but dident work so i decided to call profeshonals o'brian quoted me $85 and thay had to see it so i called a company on mackley street and quoted me $5 :D so my questions are

can i cut my own glass properly without having to take the time out to take it in to cut it?
how can i cut it?
are there any other good glass cutting companies in townsville?

cheers

yes i know i cant spell sorry

Glass cutting isn't difficult, but technique is important, so you probably shouldn't try it yourself, especially a 2.5cm fillet off one edge - not so easy. Get the $5 people to do it for you. They won't promise success if it's your glass, but if it does break, they won't charge you as much as O'Briens to cut a new piece!

J

Glass cutting is pretty easy really. Firstly, it is score and snap. The score must be done in one go. Never run your cutter back over a score line. It will not only blunt the cutter but cause the crack to run off and ruin your glass. Get a cutter that has a lubricant reservoir in the handle, I use power steering fluid with a little kerosene in it, if you intend cutting lots of glass or just a cheap one will do if you are only doing one or two bits. Hold the cutter vertically in a pencil type grip. Using firm but not excessive pressure and a straight edge, run the cutter along the glass. Practice on some old scrap pieces. Make sure they are perfectly clean. You should hear a sound like paper tearing if your do it right. For a very narrow piece such as 2.5 mm, to break it away turn the glass over and tap sharply directly over the score line. Most cutters have a ball on the end for this purpose. If it is new glass it will score and snap a lot better than old glass. With a bit of practice you will be cutting glass like a pro in no time. If its only one piece you ever want cut, the $5 guy sounds like a bargain.

ha ha... my partner and I work for G james glass. So its FWEEEEEE ^_^ for me anyway :p along with glass offcuts. woot woot.

ha ha... my partner and I work for G james glass. So its FWEEEEEE ^_^ for me anyway :p along with glass offcuts. woot woot.

Good for you :rolleyes:

As Jamie said if you are not sure how to cut it properly a piece that small might be tricky to get off cleanly .
If you have a good cutter , not a $5 one from bunnings , glass is easily cut with a bit of practice.

lol you are such a negative person ^_^ wheres your joy in life huh?

My joy is giving you rolly eyes ;)

I'm not really all that negative ..... but why post what you did , who cares that you get free glass
Why not offer advice as you clearly have knowledge of glass etc ...

Ive got to say, I work with glass all the time and there is no way Id be attempting to cut off 2.5 cm from anything big enough to be a door. If someone has offered to try it for you for $5 Id give them a go but be prepared to be replacing it. As a general rule of thumb the bit your cutting off needs to be at least 6cm depending on the thickness, width... etc of your sheet. Its got to at least be big enough to get a good hand hold on to snap it clean off. (The wider your sheet the less chance you have of such a small bit coming off cleanly unless they have lasor cutters... in which case your laughing! ;) lol) Not saying it CANT be done... just that for your average glass cutter.... it would be a big ask.

Good luck though! :)

LOL Trevor!!! I missed your message and have NEVER been shown that tap on the reverse side trick! LOL I could hug you right now!!! Ive never been able to get such a small bit to come off, Im going to be trying that tomorrow! Just goes to show you learn something new every day! :)

I just realised I misread your post of it being 2.5cm too long as 2.5mm. You should have no trouble snapping off a piece that big if it is new glass. Grasp each side of the score, thumbs on top, fingers curled back below, like you were handing someone a 10 dollar note, and snap like a biscuit. Make sure you have eye protection on as small shards of glass will be laying in the score. Practice on some larger pieces first to perfect your technique.

My joy is giving you rolly eyes ;)

I'm not really all that negative ..... but why post what you did , who cares that you get free glass
Why not offer advice as you clearly have knowledge of glass etc ...

Come to think of it... I probably deserve rolly eyes in most situations in my life. ^_^ In that case... carry on good sir.

LOL I came back to ad the rest I intended to... but had forgotten. BTW that deserves a rolly eye right there... cause not only did I forget the first time, but I also forgot the second time after reading your post.

SO... :D what I should of said was...

If the $5 attempt fails... depending on the size of the piece needed you can probably buy an offcut from a glass place for the same price :) Something like a 900mmx600mm was only going to cost me $20 if ordered... but they had enough spare offcuts that would otherwise have been thrown out. These are put down to 'cash sales' and you can normally walk in and pick up a bargain for whatever they are feeling like charging you for it at the time. Could be as little as $5. :)

Here's a few for later :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ;)

It is always good to pay cash ....

Come to think of it... I probably deserve rolly eyes in most situations in my life. ^_^ In that case... carry on good sir.

LOL I came back to ad the rest I intended to... but had forgotten. BTW that deserves a rolly eye right there... cause not only did I forget the first time, but I also forgot the second time after reading your post.

SO... :D what I should of said was...

If the $5 attempt fails... depending on the size of the piece needed you can probably buy an offcut from a glass place for the same price :) Something like a 900mmx600mm was only going to cost me $20 if ordered... but they had enough spare offcuts that would otherwise have been thrown out. These are put down to 'cash sales' and you can normally walk in and pick up a bargain for whatever they are feeling like charging you for it at the time. Could be as little as $5. :)

thanks for the responces im going to practice on weekend with some old glass i have laying around as i want to give a crack at building some enclosures for future snakes .

i had dorrs cut for my new enclosure and they were 3mm too long i took it to a glass place and they got the 3mm off and it didn't cost me anything. they never charge me to cut a piece of glass if i already have it.

There is a tool you can buy (about $30 from memory) looks like a weird set of pliers that snaps glass along a bridge - we use it for cutting up to 8mm - easily cuts the smaller strips off. In saying that $5 is a cheap option, because it does take practice, but might be able to watch them do it, and be able to practice on your offcuts for your own use, until you become right with it. I use this tool just about daily with cuts down to about 10-15mm strips. also when you have enough practice you can actually cut radiuses.

Hope this helps

Ive got to say, I work with glass all the time and there is no way Id be attempting to cut off 2.5 cm from anything big enough to be a door. If someone has offered to try it for you for $5 Id give them a go but be prepared to be replacing it. As a general rule of thumb the bit your cutting off needs to be at least 6cm depending on the thickness, width... etc of your sheet. Its got to at least be big enough to get a good hand hold on to snap it clean off. (The wider your sheet the less chance you have of such a small bit coming off cleanly unless they have lasor cutters... in which case your laughing! ;) lol) Not saying it CANT be done... just that for your average glass cutter.... it would be a big ask.

Good luck though! :)

it depends if the glass is float panel, toughened, or laminated you can cut it thin if you use plyers to crack it off
if its laminated then you need to score both sides and then seperate it slowly with metho and it may shell a little if your rough
we have never charged more that 10 bucks to cut other peoples glass and i work for obriens

Try talking to someone working in glass - There must be glass company's trucks working in the town your living.
Stop and talk to the person and ask them for advise ...like HELP!
I found a glass guy who was fixing a shop window - he later cut some glass for me and then showed me how. Just simply stop and talk someone working in the trade

yer i cut some glass for the first time last weekend but 1 of them were 2 mm to big tried to sand it back lol and hour latter all that has changed was it was smoother lol so i took it to a glass place and they said the only way to get 2 mm of is sand it or polish it. it was $2 per m so if any 1 got glass and its like 1-5 mm to big just ask them to polish it down but the more they polish off an edge the more it costs

and yes i know they said 2.5 cm but knowing if you cut it 1-5 mm to big by accident you can still get it fix makes you feel alot better when your just starting to learn how to cut glass lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back