Question about maintaining sand as substrate.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tit4n

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A friend has asked me about sand substrate for an adult beardie, since i only know about astroturf i had no luck with my response, so i came here to ask.

- Does beech sand need to be boiled before installation into the enclosure?
- Does sand require any weekly maintenance? Not counting daily poop collection.
- Is there any chance of parasites forming with the sand?

Thanks in advance.

cheap and easy goto bunnings and buy bag of prewashed play sand cant remember what it cost me last time but was only about $5-10

i also have a kitty pooperscooper and used a hotglue gun to glue flyscreen on the scooper to make it a siv makes cleaning quick and easy also means the sand lasts alot longer i clean bout 1-2x a week depending on how messy the little buggers are i have pygmys but generaly everybody says the sand is aok fo all beardies that arnt juvies/hatchies

I use beach sand with no probs for 2 years. use a $2 fish scoop from cheapie shop as poop scoop.I get mine from dunes so it rain washhed

Last edited:
Hi There,

I use the Bunnings sand too, yep it's just under $10 to buy. It's the white play ground sand which is washed ready to go. 1 Bag of it fills my 4ft terrarium perfectly with heaps for my beardie to scratch in for her bed. I also scoop out the poo with a scoop, easy done. Also to help avoid impaction, I feed her crickets and woodies in a flexarium so she doesn't ingest any sand.

i mainly feed woodies with the odd round of crickets, which i just chuck in no sign of impaction in ither of mine but then both are of breeding age. also for there salad i have a small ceramic dish ment for potplants by the time they eat all the salad n run around dig ect there will be alittle sand in the dish the next morning i just tip it out mine have a small wateer dish that needs cleaning atlest every 2days if not every day (u dont need 1 however as there water just about all comes from there food) i dust vegieswith ditamins every few days and gutload the insects cant think of much else to explain other then i have been told to try mixing the sand with coco peat i think its called but thats just for colour variation and texture got some today to use in my new enclosure was bout $3 for a brick and got more sand which as mentioned above is $9 for 20kg i only use around 10kg in my current 2ft enclosure and slope the sand at 1 end so its deaper there.

ps collecting sand from the beach is illegal so i wouldnt condone it not to mention you dont know if there are any parasites ect in it but the choice/risk is yours if thats teh road your friend takes)

lol that it may be but it would have also been polite to point that out and mention if they choose that option its at there own risk :)

I find sand is fine with hatchies...but stinks in no time with older lizards. I would not use sand with snakes.

what kind of lizzards fay as mine are pygmys start a job next week so have plans on finally makeing my 4ftx2ft enclosure that will eventually house about 4 or 5 pygmys (1 male) and was going to use the sand coco and red dessert sand mic for that aswell my pair atm are 10+mnths and 18+mnths

1. No
2. No
3. No

For cleaning I remove poo as I see it, and once or twice a year of every few months I take all the stuff out of the enclosure and take a sieve to the sand to collect dried up urate/poo, skin etc I haven't gotten while spot cleaning.

Never noticed any smell with my two ackies - the only annoyance is that they run into the water, run out and crumb themselves and run back in so in no time there is half sand/half water in their bowl. They also spray it up into the tracks of the door so opening the sliding door is worse than nails on a blackboard

They also spray it up into the tracks of the door so opening the sliding door is worse than nails on a blackboard

Haha Phil,

Thats the worst thing in the world, that used to be my biggest problem when I kept them on sand, hated getting sand in the glass tracks.

mine are in glass tanks atm will have to remember that 1 for when i build the malamine 1 next year

Just put a peice of wood on the inner side of the tracks, wider in size so sand is minimal in the tracks

i use sand for all my reptiles and have no problems it can tend to smell however thats easly fixed by removing the top layer of stand (5-10mm) and simply relaying a layer easy as that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back