Snake tail amputation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ether

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate some need some advice/opinions regarding my adult male coastal. Especially if anyone has had to get a tail amputated before.

About two years ago he was operated on. He had tissue infection in its tail, so as much of the tail possible was amputated. To just below the hemipenes i believe.

Everything healed great. But about 2 months ago i noticed that he had a few blisters on his skin, and that the tail look inflamed, as though his cloaca had been pushed outwards.

I took him over to see the vet who prescribed a course of antibiotics (Fortum?) to get rid of the bacteria. The vet said that the swelling in the tail could well be due to the infection and that it should go down.
I have now completed the course of injections and the blisters have healed fine. However the cloaca still looks abnormal, leading me to believe the problem lies elsewhere.

Here is my train of thought on the issue.

Ever since the operation, the stump of the tail has been shrinking, not by a whole lot but definitely noticeable. Would I be right in saying that as his tail has been shrinking, there has been less and less room for the hemipenes and as a result they have started to try and ‘pop’ out of the vent, causing it to look swollen? He also seems to have lost some of the bowel control. The general area looks messy and unclean. I have been applying betadine to help him heal and prevect infection. I use F10 on his enclosure.

I can try and get a photo if you think this would help.

He is eating fine and i am keeping him very warm, with heating being provided at night.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this before?

I am waiting for the vet to call me back, also.

Kind regards,

Alex

Alex maybe you should consider full hemipene amputation ...especially if he is getting complications now ,wont be able to breed from him but he will do A ok with out his "manhood' as long as the bowel and everything else is in order now ...just a thought

The thought had crossed my mind. I didnt know it was possible, is it?

Not being able to breed isnt a problem at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back