My beef with our gay rights!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what its worth, the whole legality of recognising unwed partnerships affects my life adversely as well, but it has nothing to with homosexuality.
I was born in Australia, out of wedlock, to an english father and australian mother. All my cousins (on my dad's side) have british passports, so do many of my friends whose dad's are english. However, since i was born out of wedlock (prior to 2006) I am not entitled to a british passport. (I was even conceived there!!! lol) It was only as recent as 2006 that they decided to afford "illegitimate" children the right to british citizenship.
Amazingly, Britain is way ahead of Australia in the civil partnership stakes. I have a good friend over there who married his partner, and now receives all the benefits and rights a marriage would afford.

For what its worth, the whole legality of recognising unwed partnerships affects my life adversely as well, but it has nothing to with homosexuality.
I was born in Australia, out of wedlock, to an english father and australian mother. All my cousins (on my dad's side) have british passports, so do many of my friends whose dad's are english. However, since i was born out of wedlock (prior to 2006) I am not entitled to a british passport. (I was even conceived there!!! lol) It was only as recent as 2006 that they decided to afford "illegitimate" children the right to british citizenship.
Amazingly, Britain is way ahead of Australia in the civil partnership stakes. I have a good friend over there who married his partner, and now receives all the benefits and rights a marriage would afford.

I was born and raised in Scandinavia where the general zeitgheist tends to be a bit more progressive. I was lucky in the sense that I was able to come out in a much more relaxed society, without (much) fear of what would happen to me or what people would think.

I have been asked by friends and family why I don't simply move back. There my partner and I can marry, adopt, do everything we should be able to do as a young family. Less polite folk have suggested if I don't like it here I should 'bugger off back overseas then'.

Point is I live in Australia because I love the weather, the animals, the cheap prices on everything XD. As Australian law stands currently, my partner would have to leave his entire family, his home country and leave for an unknown culture just in order to get married and have kids.

A few posters mentioned early in this thread that ideas are changing, and I believe before too much longer Austrian law will change for the better. It pretty much has to really, you know it's bad when Mexico is more progressive than you! lol

The following pieces of information are from a recent, well referenced Psychology text book backed by numerous studies and in terms of being 'unnatural' and whether of not it has a biological basis...

As stated previously it is hard to say homosexuality is unnatural considering it is frequently observed in many animals. In a large part of the world, stretching from Sumatra throughout Melanesia, males almost universally participate in homosexual activities several years before they reach marriageable age, and this is considered a normal thing. So who really gets to dictate what is normal or natural?
in contemporary western societies approx 2-7% men, 1% women consider themselves homosexual. In Australia one particular study found that 1.6 % men and 0.8% women identified themselves as homosexuals but 8.6% men and 15.1% women reported some same-sex activity or attraction.

Psychologist John Money, who has conducted some of the best-known research on homosexuality argues that people no more 'choose' their sexual orientation than they select their native language or 'choose' to be right handed.
Homosexuality is probably the end result of many causes, some environmental and some biological.
atleast One study has found differences in the neuroanatomy of homosexual and heterosexual men, where it was found that one specific set of nuclei in the hypothalamus was twice as large in heterosexual men compared to women and homosexual men. Homosexual males showed a hormonal response to the drug Premarin which was in between the results shown by heterosexual men and heterosexual women.
Similarly, EEG patterns of homosexual men is more similar to heterosexual women than heterosexual men.
on a heritability basis, several studies have found a higher incidence of homosexuality among male relatives of male homosexuals than in the general population. Rates of homosexuality in the general population are estimated at 2-7%, however 25% of brothers of male homosexuals in one study were reportedly homosexual.
Homosexuality has also been found to be much higher among identical twins than fraternal twins and adoptive brothers. Concordance for homosexuality was 52% for monozygotic twins, 22% for dizygotic twins and 11% for adoptive brothers, with heritability estimated between 0.31-0.74.
heritability for homosexuality on women found 48% concordance for monozygotic twins, 16% for dizygotic twins and 6% for adoptive sisters- heritability estimates ranging from 0.27-0.76

All this data does suggest there is some influence of genetics and while it doesn't mean this is the case for all instances it obviously plays a large part for many homosexuals.

I'm sure I'm lining myself up to get burned here but here it goes

I have no problem with homosexuals, but I disagree with marriage of homosexuals. I do believe they should have the same rights as everyone else but to me marriage is the bond between man and woman. Have a commitment ceremony, create something to recognise it as a bond etc, and by all means give them the same rites as everyone else. I'm sure many will disagree with my point of view but you will also find a few homosexuals that agree with me. I have actually had this discussion in a gay bar in Sydney funnily enough, with all sorts of arguements being pulled into it.

For those badgering religon, and for the record I am not religeous. Religion will always be a part of these types of arguement as there is a large portion of the population are religous wether they are practicing or not they still hold certain values. They have their belief's and some of us may think them a little nutty but as long as they don't try to force it on anyone, and they are not doing harm to anyone I don't care what they believe in.

With the rights etc being made even I think this country has gone way out of wack and they need to bring everything back to a per person basis. ie schools, the government give the same amount of money given to state schools as given to private schools, on a per student basis. Wether married or single, male or female, black white, yellow, green, I don't care, same funding, same rights.

I'm sure I'm lining myself up to get burned here but here it goes

I have no problem with homosexuals, but I disagree with marriage of homosexuals. I do believe they should have the same rights as everyone else but to me marriage is the bond between man and woman. Have a commitment ceremony, create something to recognise it as a bond etc, and by all means give them the same rites as everyone else. I'm sure many will disagree with my point of view but you will also find a few homosexuals that agree with me. I have actually had this discussion in a gay bar in Sydney funnily enough, with all sorts of arguements being pulled into it.

Thank you for expressing your views in a polite and respectful manner :)

I would argue that if you believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, then simply make sure that YOU only marry someone of the opposite gender.

I'm not quite clear as to how my marrying a man would affect you, (or anyone else) in any way shape or form.

You are free to marry a woman, or live as defacto as you please. Some of us are not being afforded all of those rights, I hope you can understand why some of us are unhappy with this.

I think what I'm trying to say is - "If you don't believe in gay marriage, don't get gay married" ^_^

Are you sure it was arguements being pulled?????

I have actually had this discussion in a gay bar in Sydney funnily enough, with all sorts of arguements being pulled

Well some already know and some may not ,I am a mother of a lovely 23 year old Gay man ,and it infuriates me that he along with other gay people ,dont have the same rights as my younger hetro sexual son&daughters have. He pays his taxes ,he votes,he obeys the general laws,basically lives a law abiding life YET is discriminated against because his sexual preference is of the same sex ,so this means he isnt allowed to have an acknowledged ceremony and a fully licenced marriage certificate .
IT SUX ...Gay people have to abide by all laws in this country and suffer the consequences if they break them ,just like any hetro sexual ..yet gay people are still treated like second class humans when it comes to full filling their life with a partner that they want to commit to for the rest of their days ...

OUR GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO GET WITH THE TIMES AND STOP ACTING LIKE THE KKK OF THE YESTERYEAR :evil::evil::evil::evil:

I agree that that homosexuals should have similar rights to heterosexual folk. I think a lot (not all) of the people against gay marriage are involved in religious groups or (from personal experience) are from less "educated" (not calling people who hate gays dumb) rural areas. I think allowing gay marriage but calling it a "civil union" or something along those lines would appease some of the resistance from the bible-bashers who believe the term "marriage" may only be applied in a heterosexual instance.

The way we're treated at my sons school isn't about money, it's about people treating people in a fair way.
I don't like grouping anything, I don't like "all gay people are like this" and "all Catholic people are like that". To say you think poorly of all Catholic people is just like saying you think poorly of all gay people.

I concede your point.
For me, i have very little tolerance for religious people as a whole.
I think poorly of all of creeds, which is no different to thinking poorly of all terrorists.

wow ,imalizard ,I had a few tears well up reading your post sweetie ,It reminded me of what my son has endured over his time when he TRIED to force himself to like girls even went as far as to actually have a sexual relationship with a girl and he knew deep down it felt wrong.BUT at that time in his young life was way to scared to come out for fear of being rejected by his peers and ironically his own family (how wrong was he now) ...I had a fair idea that he was gay from a young age ,but when he started dating girls ,thought maybe he was just a bit more sensitive then most guys at his age ,it wasnt till he was around 17 that I fully got to know yes my son is gay and no matter what he is still my son and I love him to bits regardless ..My husband is a blokes bloke,Luke didnt have any gay UPBRINGING believe me ..his younger brother and sisters are hetrosexual,so it wasnt an enviromental thing ,I truely believe it is a genetic makeup and accept that .Luke doesnt abuse children ,animals, rape women , do arm holdups ,beat up elderly people nor has he killed anyone,HE IS SOMEONE that I am ever so proud of and wouldnt hesitate in a blink of an eye to tell anyone that I LOVE MY GAY SON just as much as I do his siblings.
I truely hold hope that one day Luke will get the same rights as I do when it comes to the law ..THIS ISNT ABOUT GETTING MARRIED IN A CHURCH ...I am hetrosexual and never had a religious ceremony in a church or with a priest... .I got married in a backyard celebration by a celebrant with family and friends and this is what I hope one day that all humans can do regardless of sexual preference ...THANKS to all that have posted your views on this topic ,your entitled to your beliefs and hope that as time goes on your views change a little more to allow your gay brother /sister the same rights as you have ...and I truely hope that any of you that are against gay lifestyles ,if you EVER father /mother a gay child no matter what your deep set views are ,that you will learn to accept and always love your child never neglect them ..cause to me a child being neglected and ignored by their own parents is a far worse crime of life then anything else ...if a child cant rely on their own flesh and blood now ..whats that say about you as a human?

I married a woman on the 4th of November 1984, We both have two beautiful children. Both with our respective partners. Think about it. We are still married and only ever argued once over the wharfies dispute.
Marriage is a sham used to obfuscate bureaucracy.

I concede your point.
For me, i have very little tolerance for religious people as a whole.
I think poorly of all of creeds, which is no different to thinking poorly of all terrorists.

I'ts also no difference to thinking poorly of Gay people mate, If you ask me you have got double standards
also by calling religeous people nutty or having mental illnesses, you have not only insulted people on the forum outright
but you have insulted some of the greatest scientist's in history (eg. Isac Newton, Sameule morse and many others.) and
basicaly all the founding fathers of australia as about 80% of them were christians.

no hard feelings mate just feel the need to defend some people on this sight
please think about what you say.
peace :)

Can I just add one thing here alot of NON gay people that obviously have not much to do with gay people either ,have this conclusion that GAYS CHOOSE TO BE GAY ....they choose no more then we do being either female or male ...or hetro sexual ..it isnt a life style choice ,like religion where you can choose to be what ever faith you want ..those back in the days and sadly even now that are 'CLOSET GAYS' are doing this out of FEAR AND KNOWING THEY WILL BE SHUNNED by their so called LOVED ONES so they live a life of lying to themselves and all those around them and quite often end it in a manner that is so sad ..suicide is REAL ...IMAGINE A GOVERNMENT OR SOCIETY FORCING YOU HETROSEXUALS TO BE GAY ,AND BEING TOLD YOU WONT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AND ARE SHUNNED UPON AND TOLD YOU ARE SICK AND PERVERTED AND TO THOSE THAT BELIEVE IN GOD AND RELIGION,THAT YOUR GOD HATES WHO YOU ARE ....YOUR FAMILY DIS OWNS YOU NEVER ACKNOWLEDGING YOU AGAIN ...this is a reality that alot of gay people go through every bloody day of their lives ..as if you would CHOOSE this lifestyle if your easy answer was BE STRAIGHT!!

HERE IS A VIDEO WHICH REALLY EXPOSES HOW ARROGANT SOME PEOPLE ARE !!!!!!

[video=youtube;QJtjqLUHYoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtjqLUHYoY[/video]

Another good video hahahahha

[video=youtube;lSfFa44p96o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSfFa44p96o&feature=related[/video]

I admire celebrities who address the issues like this.

What an amazing song. I know this will be called a ''gay song''.... but really listen to the lyrics, what a lovely message that is being portrayed.

[video=youtube;QGJuMBdaqIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw&feature=share[/video]

Damn it Jay, now I can't get that song out of my head! Thanks man! Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back