Brick red green tree pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The red has nothing to do with aposematic colouration (pretending to be dangerous) but the red babies live amongst wines and colourful foliage (presumably different to Iron Range flora). M

sounds like a wonderful place ;)

It's an interesting concept and I really don't want to go into it here (it would compromise the article). I think the million dollar question will remain unanswered for a long time yet. It's not unique to GTPs, Emerald Tree Boas and other species have different colour offspring. I am more interested in what triggers the colour change, it's a physiological process that's either triggered by hormonal activity or some environmental influences. As you may know, I kept a number of juveniles from 2008 and 2009 clutches for 1 year to get some solid data on the OCC. The results are interesting.
So the Tree Boas and GTPs,what other species has offspring that goes through the colour change..With the data that you collected,was there anything that surprised you at all.So in your opionion do you think something triggers the colour change,not just the hatchie getting older.As i had a fussy eater that was forced fed for 12months,once i got it to my place it ate the first night,it was not much bigger then a hatchie,was around 30-40cm..It ate 6 straight meals then shed,after another 3 meals it began to change colour..At this stage it was around 50-55cm,but 14months old..Now its 110cm it has doubled in size since October 09...

So the Tree Boas and GTPs,what other species has offspring that goes through the colour change..With the data that you collected,was there anything that surprised you at all.So in your opionion do you think something triggers the colour change,not just the hatchie getting older.

The results were quite surprising, I am writing second page of the article now, few more to come - too much to post here ... be patient, all in good time.

Bally, "correct" but don't forget to add that the PNG / Indo GTPs ALSO have yellow babies, not only the Aussie natives. Quite often you see both yellow and red neonates in one clutch, sometimes they are all red or all yellow. In our natives, the neonates are only yellow.

Why is that da donk

just some of the mis information given by people who clearly have no ideaand should have an understanding of the species before commenting.

( not all just some)

My thought was that the colouration as a juvie was beneficial as the majority of their diet would have been located on the jungle floor and lower canopies... browns and yellows being closer to the colouration of the leaf litter and trunks of trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back