LED Lighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturdy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use LED's at all..

I'm sick of buying 5w fluro's every few weeks cause one blows.

Looking to see if anyone has had any luck with LED strips.

Cheers

Luke.

I'm using them in one of my enclosures. Pretty happy with the effect. Got mine at Bunnings. Arlec, $50 (from memory), 3 x 12 led strips. Its a pretty tall enclosure and I'm using 3 on the inside of each front upright. I'll have a look for a pic.

Cheers

Mick

I don't know if you saw Ben's (Stein Enclosures) at the ipswich expo Luke, but all his setups had down lights in them. I'm not sure what there performance is like long-term, but it might be worth enquiring. I was surprised how much heat they produce and he doesn't use thermos with them, look pretty trendy too.

LEDs only.jpg
Just the LEDs
LEDs top light on.jpg
LEDs and the top light
LED placement.jpg
Showing where the LEDs sit, same on other side.

Cheers

Mick

have a look around, and look a bit further than bunnings.... led technology has taken leaps and bounds recently, and there are new... have to describe them as micro squares, not like traditional led globes.... last forever, and whilst not good enough to light domestic rooms yet, would in some cases be almost blinding in an enclosure...

Ihaveherps I've know what you mean about the micro LEDs they are the type which sit on the circuit board yes? I've seen them for $14 online however the led and the board is exposed.
I wouldnt be using these for heating but for lighting.

I have some 120w led units for My marine tank these units do produce heat but the light emitted flooded out the lights in the lounge room

Cheers
Luke

I bought some from Dalbarb and in the process of fitting them at the moment- from the trial during tte set-up they look good. I am using blue ones for night lighting. IKEA also have arange of 12 and 240V as do Jaycar.

Yes you can get LEDs with UV - but they're not as broad as fluros.

I actually sell GU10 6W (240V) LED downlights - but absolutely NO UV emission (which is one of their advantages depending on use).

They're not cheap (yet)... But far better than the constant burnouts.

You still need (if you're getting downlights) reasonable heat sinks - despite them being cooler than halogens, they're still hotter than fluros (but at least 3 times more efficient).

Yes you can get LEDs with UV - but they're not as broad as fluros.

I actually sell GU10 6W (240V) LED downlights - but absolutely NO UV emission (which is one of their advantages depending on use).

They're not cheap (yet)... But far better than the constant burnouts.

You still need (if you're getting downlights) reasonable heat sinks - despite them being cooler than halogens, they're still hotter than fluros (but at least 3 times more efficient).

i have heard rumors of the LED being super super bright can they hurt snakes eyes?, im mainly looking for evening/night lighting with no/low heat, what options would i have for low light LED? can you get dimmer switches for them or perhaps a darker purple filter for them?

LED's come in a mass of colours try jaycar for your best bet/deals as you can buy diy kits ect which may be alot more benificial in this kind of situation

nice how many leds is in that is it a strip or just wired in parallel from a kit?? how big is the enclosure??

Its 4x2x2, the leds are on a strip on the edging above the glass, i forget how many there are on there, but they give off a nice glow.

I get all my stuff from overseas, seems to work out a little cheaper for me,
send me a pm and i can give you some details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back