Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

waruikazi

Legendary
Reaction score
I found this yesterday walking my dog. This is a new species for me and i'm not sure on what it is. SVL was about 110-120mm, tail about 1.5 times the SVL, it was basking on flat sand stone rocks at about 4.30 in the arvo in the West Arnhem stone country. I know it's a bad pic, but i'm not into dragging things out of their crevices just for a pic.

IMG_0492.jpg

I've tentatively ID'd it as Ctenophorus caudicinctus by a process of elimination on the 6 similar looking agamids in this area. It doesn't look like any Amphiboralis temporalis or gilberti (Tata and gilberts dragons) that i've seen, I don't think it is Chelosonia brunnea (chameleon dragon), it was too big for Diporiphora arnhemica and it doesn't look like a Diporiphora bilineata! So you AG heads what is it?

it does sort of look like the Chameleon dragons from Umbrawarra Gorge, but its hard to tell from inside the rock crevice. I may be wrong so we'll see what others think. Good find though.

it does sort of look like the Chameleon dragons from Umbrawarra Gorge, but its hard to tell from inside the rock crevice. I may be wrong so we'll see what others think. Good find though.

I called not a Chameleon dragon because it didn't have a crest (although the females might not have a crest, i'm not sure) and because they tend to be in woodland not stone country. But i did find this on the interface between stone country and woodlands, so maybe i hope someone who knows can get involved.

If i had to guess id say caudicinctus, thats about as good as itll get with that photo i think. If theyre anything like the more southern ssp. they shouldnt be hard to find perched in the area during the day and on tracks at night.

Enhancement

I can't help with the identification but I have hopefully enhanced the image in Photoshop enough to allow someone with better knowledge to make in ID.
Cheers,
Paul.

Attachments

• IMG_0492enhanced.jpg
    IMG_0492enhanced.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 189
I would say Chameleon Dragon, it has a row of dorsal spines unlike Ctenophorous species, also the SVL is closer to a chameleon dragons than a C.Caudicinctus

I would say Chameleon Dragon, it has a row of dorsal spines unlike Ctenophorous species, also the SVL is closer to a chameleon dragons than a C.Caudicinctus

It's not a chameleon dragon. Habitat doesn't match, it had no crest and it didn't have a turkey neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back