Irresponsible wildlife park... Who do I contact?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake-Supplies

Reaction score
I went to Phillip Island for a few nights, just got back.

Anyway, I visited one of the wildlife parks there,

no names or links please

Anyway, I was all happy and loving it while feeding the Wallaby's and Kangaroos etc, until I entered the snake "den" so to speak.

From the first snake I seen, I was APPALLED!
It was a Water python, in a dry, semi arid enclosure.
The floor was covered in just normal dirt, with a few gum leaves (most likely dug up from outside) and a branch. At first I did not even notice it was a water python, as it was PITCH BLACK, coiled around in a small water dish which looked like it had no water in it. I know snakes don't need a whole heap of water, but they should have enough to soak in.

It (the water python) along with all the other pythons were shedding in flakes, not one whole shed. I know it happens, but for a wildlife park to have ALL snakes have the same problem is sad, and proves they are not looking after them as they should.

The lighting system installed was very basic, outdated, cheap and nasty.
I have a better lighting system at home.
It was a simple on and off thermostat with a basking light, no UV light, nothing.
The snakes are not getting the needed vitamin D and do not have a day or night cycle.

They had bat's there, I counted two with half wings, the membrane which makes the wing damaged so bad it was barley a wing anymore. I know the wings are delicate, but if this bat can't fly and the park is not helping it, it's going to die.

Anyway, I emailed the RSPCA but we have done that plenty of times before with various animals, and nothing has been done.
Just wondering if there is anyone else I could contact.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
That's crap call cops or department of sustainability (where u get wildlife licenses). Hope something gets done about it. That's terrible especially for a wildlife park.

It's very sad.
These parks are supposed to be "showcasing" our wildlife.
I am sure 99% of reptiles etc are better kept in private collections.

Have a chat to your state wildlife department someone has to police these irresponsible wild life parks

Yer you should of but ohwell people will see when they go there. That was the first wildlife park I went to and I hated it just seeing them like that. That's how I got into herping so I wouldn't have to see them like that they would just be at my house in a much better condition.

Doesn't sound very nice, with the bats, wildlife parks will sometimes[ if free of diease etc] take on wild animals that have been injuried and cant be released. If they are put back in the wild they will die, so theres a choice of putting them down or letting them live a captive life.

I would definitely contact Vic Parks and Wildlife. Please let us know how you go with it. It's so sad to hear this. Goodness knows how long they have been exposed to these conditions.

Goodluck with it and I sincerely hope there is some resolution with it.

oh no that poor water python with no uv and gum leaves. god help us.

What sucks is RSPCA rarely listen :(

In my experience as a retired Veterinary Nurse, Dog Breeder & Exhibitor, Reptile Keeper and all-round Animal Lover, the RSPCA rarely do ANYTHING besides some very clever fund-raising to line the pockets of the Management and increase value of RSPCA owned real estate.

Sorry to go off topic but they give me the *****s!

In my experience as a retired Veterinary Nurse, Dog Breeder & Exhibitor, Reptile Keeper and all-round Animal Lover, the RSPCA rarely do ANYTHING besides some very clever fund-raising to line the pockets of the Management and increase value of RSPCA owned real estate.

Yeah, they just do the occasional thing for publicity :rolleyes: I remember I complained about a Reptile Park. Amazingly they did inspect it, and said it was okay and all the enclosures were humane! The park had a full grown carpet python in a tank less than a metre long with a bare lightbulb in it, they had a full grown Freshwater croc (about 3m long) in a tank so small it could barely turn around in it :(

Maybe the bats were rescues?

Its sad, cause this isnt the first park I have heard of with less than optimal enclosures. I would think that a wildlife park should not only showcase the animals but their natural environments. And that they would show their animals in tip top condition. Its sad really, cause I bet you were pumped for the reptile section and then just found it not only a complete let down but not even up there with your average private keepers standards.
I hope next time someone experiences something like this, they think to take photos :)

Have you thought about approaching them in a civil manner and pointing out your concerns to some of the reptiles well beings to the person in charge of that area?

As some have pointed out RSPCA may not do anything so educating them more on whats "essential" to keep such reptiles comfortable and happy would be the way to go.If even a few changes can be made then its a "win" for the reptiles.Maybe do some investigating on what is exactly needed for all enclosures and supply them with a list and possible avenues to aquire these things at a good cost.

Indeed. I have a similar background to you.... only I also used to work for them as well. Biggest hypocrites under the sun. Their confiscated animals section had no natural light, tiny smelly cold concrete cages and appalling facilities. Their other holding pens were barely better. Multiple animals of various sizes housed together in the weather... I wont go on... but you are absolutely right. Most of their money is not spent on animal facilities, food or even on cruelty prevention... its spent on pretty front gates and sales pens to impress people... and spiffy cars for high ranking employees.

Gilmore- I did THINK about approaching the guy... I just HATE conflict, and I would only expect him to know everything and how to look after his animals anyway.
I did think about it... but that's as far as it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back