freezing rats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
your title says "fezzing"... you say "frezzing"

I still have no idea what you're trying to ask... freezing, breeding, feeding??????

I'm guessing its freezing, and well if its frozen properly you could keep it for 12months + tho i think the general recommendation would be less than 12 tho

Actually I was wondering how long they keep myself :) I just bought a bunch of fuzzy mice and day old quail today... it cost a bit and I think the supply I got (minimum purchase) would supply my little guy for a couple of months at least, if he was a piggy. I dont want to be having to chuck out half the supply.

I was wondering cause I know for example, if I put kangaroo in the freezer it only lasts a week or two tops. Then it starts to get a really horrible smell (its still ok to eat but doesnt smell nice). And snakes are more sensitive to smell? So if their food starts smelling funny...

If it's over 6mths, I throw it out. But, others have said they throw after 3mths, others 12mths, some maybe never.... :)

If it looks bad and falls apart when you heat it up, chuck it.

Rats if frozen for too long get freezer burn just like if you were to leave human consumption meat in the freezer longer then it should, I leave them frozen in the freezer no longer then 3mths but thats what I do, and if i buy new frozen rats I use the older frozen rats first then then use the others after.

The speed of initial freezing; type of packaging and quality of storage; would be more important than the length of time.

Agree with Wokka. Speed of freezing ,packaging etc and also temp at which kept (my freezer runs at -24.) makes a great deal of difference.Research has shown no significant deterioration for up to 24 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back