Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Reaction score
Just curious what the current breeders intend on doing with all of the Jag sibs that they breed? I would imagine that they will be extremely hard to move given the current over supply of herps in the country.

I have been doing alot of thinking about the Jag issue recently and this is one question that I keeping asking myself if I were to go down the Jag road.

NOTE: This is a genuine question and not intended to start a s$%t fight.

You freeze them Same as if you had a lets say albino woma when you breed it you keep all the girls and a few boys and freeze the rest when the albino Darwin line started a lot of hets where put in the freezer

You freeze them Same as if you had a lets say albino woma when you breed it you keep all the girls and a few boys and freeze the rest when the albino Darwin line started a lot of hets where put in the freezer
That doesn't make alot of sense, when albinos came first hit the market the hets were worth a mint, Jaf sibs on the other hand arent.

Rather random thinking seeing as albino is recessive and you have hets.... why would you freeze ???

because they prob put the albino ova a normal darwin and then u wouldnt be able to know which 1s are the hets so freeze them

because they prob put the albino ova a normal darwin and then u wouldnt be able to know which 1s are the hets so freeze them

actually an albino x normal = 100% guaranteed het albinos

Alot of hets would of been frozen due to over supply, if i was working on a new albino project id freeze all the excess untill i was ready to release the end project to the public

That doesn't make alot of sense, when albinos came first hit the market the hets were worth a mint, Jaf sibs on the other hand arent.

It's the poss hets that get often get frozen in new albino lines. I hope the same is done with the sibs.

WOw, seems like its more a thread on "How much can you Freeze".

Ok heres my thoughts on the jag sib situation and a link to a thread on MP.com

Jag Sibs ? Good or Bad ?

What about micro chipping the sibs so they can be identified as sibs ?
Instead of culling ?
Possible give the sibs away free to new homes only if the new owner agrees to get them micro chipped ?

Any thoughts on this idea ?

What about sib to sib breedings etc and their offspring all micro chipped etc .

Or maybe the breeders should micro chip the sibs and recover the cost by selling the sibs for a minimal amount etc

cheers
Roger

if you put a albino over a normal you get all hets... why would you freeze them? there all hets..

I much prefer the suggestion of sterilization but IMO its going to be wasted effort. Once the jags drog in price and every man and his dog breed them most people wont want to cull the sibs, microchip them or sterilize them so i really believe no matter what is done sibs will be around and will be bred. Now jags are here its inevitable

if you put a albino over a normal you get all hets... why would you freeze them? there all hets..
Because if your the first to have the line and you hatch say 25 hets, your prob not going to want to grow up 25 animals and you dont want to sell them as your still working on a line that is years away from going public....so you pick the best and freeze the rest.

I find it really disturbing that so many keepers are seemingly fine with culling perfectly healthy snakes just so they can have their own "line" (im talking about albinos not jags).
It really says alot about a person imo.
How can one say they are doing it for love of the snakes when they are happy to cull just for profit.

It's actually pretty common knowledge that Simon Stone released possible het Darwins as normals. Any "normal" SXR Darwins released in the last 5-6 years are potentially het.

Because if your the first to have the line and you hatch say 25 hets, your prob not going to want to grow up 25 animals and you dont want to sell them as your still working on a line that is years away from going public....so you pick the best and freeze the rest.

I think this is awful ! maybe if you are wanting to start your own line you should think ahead and have ample space to be able to do it humanely. Freezing hets because you want to keep the profits in your pockets and not others? pffft

I think this is awful ! maybe if you are wanting to start your own line you should think ahead and have ample space to be able to do it humanely. Freezing hets because you want to keep the profits in your pockets and not others? pffft

Totally agree Jay..As Jonno mentioned,i cant beleive Simon wouldve produced any normals,(so to speak) so any potential normals could possibly be hets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back