New GTPs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as in just the locality? ie palmerstone an tully jungles?

yer... kinda. Aussie implies iron ranges (north Qld) Sorong is an island NE of PNG. ie native x non-native... still a GTP, there are no subspecies of viridis, although i think there should be!

I too understand waterrats point of view... however, I too like the cross. I too think the sorongs have a little too much blue and I think the amount of blues and whites your guys are showing is actually prettier than either of the parents :) In my completely noob point of view, your GTPs are gorgeous. If I were going to buy a gtp I would want them to be as interesting as yours :)

Jason,

I am glad that you didn't take offence, my comments were not directed to you but to the breeder, I trust it was obvious. I don't know who bred those snakes but even if it was Peter Krauss, John Weigel or Rico Walder, I would look them straight in their eyes and say what I wrote here.
I am by means against crossing or designing but in my way of thinking, such project has to have some well defined aim. The breeder should know what he/she is trying to achieve and the product should hold some visual quality, pereferably something we haven't seen before. This, however is like stepping backwards and that quite aimlessly.
I agree with your comment that some pure lines. e.g. natives, can be quite boring, with little or no white stripe. True, but the genetic potential is there and the trait for a strong white line may be expressed in the next generation ...... whereas in this case, both traits were compromised forever.

cheers
Michael

True, but the genetic potential is there and the trait for a strong white line may be expressed in the next generation ...... whereas in this case, both traits were compromised forever.

However, there are people like me that would actually prefer an even combination of moderate colours than either a full white stripe or a full blue stripe :) So while it may seem pointless in your eyes, in my eyes this has more value than an animal with a white stripe down its back :)

Each to their own giggle, I used to drive a blue car with yellow bonnet and green mudguard (only one) - I liked it!

They are stunning very bold colours an patterns on both. It would seem photos cannot do them justice. Also does any1 have photos of crosses?

However, there are people like me that would actually prefer an even combination of moderate colours than either a full white stripe or a full blue stripe :) So while it may seem pointless in your eyes, in my eyes this has more value than an animal with a white stripe down its back :)

I don't disagree with you, giggle, but I actually see the points that you and Michael are arguing as apples and oranges, and I can certainly see the danger. I totally agree with Michael's point about compromising pure lines, and especially for the sake of "I didn't have the cash for a pure pair" or "I think it would look nice to cross this snake with this snake"... Plenty of Euro and US breeders have eluded to how BIG a problem this is overseas - no pure lines left. That said, I also think aesthetics are important for pet owners... I just think the danger is that, unlike the dog breeding "hobby", there is no way to produce very nice looking snakes and desex them before sale so that the new owners can't breed them and further compromise the "pure" genetics.

Anyway, GREAT looking snakes, mate! Really like the sorong girl ;)

I thought it was amusing that you had them out in the car!!! I can imagine your excitement!!!!

Cheers

whereas in this case, both traits were compromised forever.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) As far as green go, my fave would have to be a complete even mixture of blue, yellow, green, white etc... some rather completely green, some love the canary yellows.

What a awesome Chrissy pressy..I understand completely were Michael is coming from,it makes no sense from the breeder,except the $$$ in his-her pocket..I realise its each to there own,however paying decent amount of $$$ you can get ALOT better...Dont get me wrong Jason,i would own them,without a second thought......

There awesome looking congrats mate, cant wait till i have one of these in my collection one day..

cheers, Daniel

Plenty of Euro and US breeders have eluded to how BIG a problem this is overseas - no pure lines left.

I was really torn over that aspect! Especially when you consider the declining numbers of certain species in the wild. Its a reason I considered getting a pair of gammons. But ya gotta wonder how many of anything on offer is actually pure anyway.

They look awesome mate, I'll have to come check em out, I bet they look even better in the flesh!

had to make sure they were happy and healthy before leaving the airport ;)

Had to smile at that, I did the same with my green and other snakes I get from the airport. Most interesting one was a bredli yearling that shot out of the bag and almost bit me in the face... all this while the people in the car next to me were looking in horror... I smirkly said "ever watched snakes on a plane?"

Anywho, Awesome green mate. I hope it settles in well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back