Oh, Turtle laying

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not that some there's been any bad avice but if you intend on caring for him yourself it might be worth joining up with australianfreshwaterturtles.com it's a forum simular to here but obviously turtle focused there are a few people on there that really know their turtley stuff and could be a great help in the rehab process for you

You will get lots of help from this forum. Don't worry to much about the accident ,it happens to the best of us, what is important is that you are doing what you can to help her out and that is great. Best of luck

Bad you hit the turtle but these things happen unfornatly good you took her home took care of her if shes in pain leave the turtle and eggs at a wildlife service if not just look after her and her babies easy to make a tempory incubator

Get to a vet ASAP. That turtle will require analgesics for pain and most probably fluid therapy.
Flush the wound in saline or chlorhex solution and dress it (change at least every 24 hours).
If the vet prescirbes carprofen or meloxicam ensure the turtles is hydrated.
What you are looking at is broken bone, the pain would be severe!
Get to Australian Freshwater Turtles forum for further help in regard to dry docking. It will be a very long process.

Good luck :)

I very much agree with Olivehydra here. I think further obs and comfort of proper heat will do the world of good. Only one egg being laid isn't good, so id be questioning whether its best to take it to someone who knows what to look for. You have obviously done a great job, but caring for it because you feel bad for it doesn't really make up the fact you still don't know the extent of damage.
I recommend you take her to someone who deals with turtles day in day out. Let them tell you the extent, and if they think you can care for the needs of the turtle after it then good on you. Temps are exremely important for a turtle in this case.

As Waruikazi has advised. Use some Savlon or something. Never put food stuffs on wound.
The eggs will in all likelyhood be unviable and have been expelled because of stress. It is fairly common with injured turtles.
You need to keep the turtle out of water until the wound heals over. Easiest way to do this is to put in into a tub with a false bottom. Get a water dish that the turtle can stick its head into but not the carapace. Cut a hole in the false bottom and place the water dish into the hole and raise up the floor so it sits level.
You now have a water supply and as long necks cant feed out of water you can feed in the dish.
I hope this makes sense.

I was just about to suggest flushing the wound with saline

I hope she recovers from this, the poor thing :(

I have just started doing wildlife care and the biggest thing we are taught is to keep them in a warm, dark and safe place... it reduces their stress

the girly went to a good carer, and she said im allowed to have an "open" um, surrender? of her. lol. so im going to visit her tomorrow :) the egg has veins in it, and the inch is at about 28 and pretty humid!

with only 1 egg being layed could she possibly be egg bound?

the girly went to a good carer, and she said im allowed to have an "open" um, surrender? of her. lol. so im going to visit her tomorrow :) the egg has veins in it, and the inch is at about 28 and pretty humid!

Premi eggs aften have veins but they still kahk it. Hope it goes well but!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back