Backyard Blue Tongue Invasion - Please Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllyEJ

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I'm not sure what to do.
I live in your typical housing surburbia with my two dogs, one being a Jack Russell (hunter dog). Anyway my problem is that I'm getting lots of blue tongue lizards that have wandered into my backyard. I'm
not sure if they were someone's pets or just wild ones.
My Jack Russell is finding them and the two dogs are killing them. They have atleast killed 2 that I know of and I have 5 blue tongues in custody (lol).
What I want to know is what do I do with them to protect them? Does anyone want to take them off my hands or know of anywhere I can take them.
Please help.

ally what you should do is if you live around near the bush you should just take them there and they would probably leave your backyard alone and be too busy catching insects and other stuff

you should call your local wildlife organisation or if you can, let them go in the bush or protected parklands of some sort. Hope this helps

but if not ask your neighbours or someone around your street if they want them in theyre backyards to eat snails and other pests if i lived in sydney you could put them in my backyard my dogs dont mind them or you could take your dog out on the lead try and find one and then train it to leave them alone

Options:

A) Lock the dogs up inside
B) Move the blue tongues
C) Let the dogs continue to kill them

train the dogs to leave them alone, it shouldn't take that much
mindlest killing should be left to cats

jack russels are a small hunting fox hunting dog so ur dogs will contiune to kill them ! better to move the blueys to a neighbours yard if you can

gun+dog=problem solved
alternativley, just catch all the blueys you can, and take them to a national park, where dogs arent allowed

This is my suggestion and its what i usually recommend if yopu seriously want to stop them entering your yard.
get 200mm wide lengths of Hardyplank or similar and trench them into the ground around your fence perimeter in a continuous end to end. the lizards can no longer come through and being bluetongues are unlikely to climb over it.

You could put more structure in youryard to give the bluies more cover. Things like PVC pipes, hollow logs, iron for them to crawl under etc etc.

You could put more structure in youryard to give the bluies more cover. Things like PVC pipes, hollow logs, iron for them to crawl under etc etc.

are these not also snakey hiding spots ? not having at go at you, just thought i would put it out there :)

Make sure you wet the dogs down first with a hose though :) :p

I think it's going to simply be one of those unfortunate things. I guess all you can do is, now that you're aware it's happening, is just keep an eye on things and rescue what you can when they need to be rescued.

Had the same problem in Sydney, years back, afraid any dog worthy of the label, will find a bluetongue long before we can.

Most answers were not viable for me, my situation etc and the list is too long to detail each and every one but I would like to thank you all for trying.

Okay, here's one: Get some Hot English Mustard and smother one of the blue-tongues in it, then let the dogs loose. I know you might end up losing this particular lizard, but it'll be the last one you lose (jokes)...nah, maybe don't try that one ;) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back