Are olive Pythons good beginner snakes?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well in WA they are classed as a class 5 snake and they do get mighty big i would probably hazard they are not the best beginner snake, but if you got one as a baby and had it for its full life it would probably not be too bad.

(dons fire suit)

Yes, and NO !

PROS :-
+ Docile
+ Generally good feeders
+ Easy to handle
+ PRETTY !

CONS :-
- Grow BIG !
- If they do tag you it CAN hurt (as with any snake)

they are the only cons i can think of, i have a pair and absolutely love them !
Kel

i would recommend a scrub for a first snake then work your way upto a childrens or stimmie etc

No cause of their large size which is on average 10 to 14 foot long l know they are a very placid Python to keep, But they could all of a sudden attack you especially at feed time, you should start of with a Carpet or Diamond or Woma Python and gain your experience in handling medium size Pythons, before you decide to move into wanting to keep either Olive or Scrub Pythons IMO.

I have both the Olive and Scrub and no I don't suggest either of them for you LOL .Olive unreal big placid snake .Scrub unreal naaaaasty big snake .Stick with the well known "Ideal first snake breeds".

lol i wish this thread came up when i got my first snake which happened to be an olive going with a smaller snake to start off with because they do tend to grow up fast and big is an understatement

Yes, and NO !

+ Docile
+ Generally good feeders
+ Easy to handle
+ PRETTY !

- Grow BIG !

Kel

Beautiful snakes with generally a lovely disposition. Get a hatchling and the size will be unimportant because you will become used to it. Just be prepared to provide larger accommodation as required.

Yes, and NO !

+ Docile
+ Generally good feeders
+ Easy to handle
+ PRETTY !

- Grow BIG !

Kel

i agree + 1
Joe1mal Love ur Olive

View attachment 174551

Cocknet Red, l never ever seem to have any trouble feeding my Olive Pythons together, as long as l stay with them why their both feeding and keep a close eye on them, when one finishes feeding l then keep it apart from the other one why its still feeding, l myself would not feed them together once they get to 6 foot long or bigger thats when l seperate them from each other at feed time.

what is size enclosure is suitable for an adult olive?
To keep one adult Olive Python all you would need is a enclosure that is 4 to 5 foot long and 2 to 3 foot high and 2 to 3 foot deep, if you want to keep 2 adult Olive Pythons together in the same enclosure, l would keep 2 adult Olive pythons in a enclosure that is 6 to 8 foot long and 2 to 3 foot high and 2 to 3 foot deep, make sure you have a hide box big enough for the Olives to curl up in 1 at the hot end and the other at the cool end of the enclosure, make sure you also have a large water tray at the cool end of the enclosure that they can bath in by soaking their hole body as if they want to submerge in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back