Buying Jags

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To Slim and the others, a 2 month guarantee sounds quite reasonable. But won't that produce further risks, if say you take a returned animal back after 2 months, considering you have no idea how it was kept, or what state the OP's collection is in. If you were to then on-sell, cheap (i actually detest the thought of this) to someone else, aren't you now a possible vector for transmitting other disease as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
To Slim and the others, a 2 month guarantee sounds quite reasonable. But won't that produce further risks, if say you take a returned animal back after 2 months, considering you have no idea how it was kept, or what state the OP's collection is in. If you were to then on-sell, cheap (i actually detest the thought of this) to someone else, aren't you now a possible vector for transmitting other disease as well?

quarantine

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct and because of this I can't see how anybody could ever hope to firstly breed it out or or secondly offer any kind of guarantee as I have heard mentioned by others. They are beautiful though and I am on the fence as to how I feel about them, but those ideas are just silly..

Yeah.... they are beautiful indeed :D

This isn't exactly on topic, so apologies to Cement. But after all the other threads about Jags they seem to have missed one point that could potentially have far reaching effects. We all know that the story of Jags is about at what point does beauty over-ride the ethical and moral issues. This is an individual choice but has anyone considered who else is looking in to the reptile keeping world from the outside?

In NSW animal welfare organisations are a real and serious threat to the hobby, they will view the jag story as further evidence that reptile keepers can not be trusted to make decisions based on the best for the animal's welfare. With government agencies more and more dipping their toes into animal welfare issues, I wouldn't be surprised if in the future some amendments are made to legislation prohibiting breeding mutations that impact on animal welfare or preceded impacts.

Getting back on topic, given that the jag condition is predisposed to a neuro issue, any sort of guarantee wouldn't be needed. I wouldn't trust it but then again because I know the issues surrounding these snakes I want not consider myself a potential buyer. Maybe the question should be as a potential buyer what guarantees would you be happy with? At the moment we are talking about handing over a huffy sum of money Id imagine buyers would be looking for something.

so if i buy a jag of 'someone' then 6 weeks later i see another 'better' jag i like from another breeder for less money, can i claim the original jag has 'issues' & send it back for a refund, so i then get my cash back to buy the better one?

so if i buy a jag of 'someone' then 6 weeks later i see another 'better' jag i like from another breeder for less money, can i claim the original jag has 'issues' & send it back for a refund, so i then get my cash back to buy the better one?

It would be a shame if the "better one" got serious issues later on though ,wouldn't it? especially when the first one was fine.
i also think that if anyone who did that would be blacklisted and make a bad name for themselves,especially when the first one arrives back in the breeders hands and there is no major problems.i know most breeders have a list of troublemakers that they won't deal with.
At the end of the day i don't think it would be worth the trouble.
cheers
simon

If i suspect that this is starting to happen , no refunds will be given .

I am always surprised to see how noble people are? How would you know that a buyer has done that Roger? Breeders cannot even stick together when it comes to setting market values on snakes! Why would one breeder let another breeder know that a buyer pulled this stunt? Especially in the extremely competitive reptile market that currently exist. The best guarantee is that the snake is healthy, feeding and disease free. Only time will show us what we need to know about this morph in Australia. The numbers affected by the neurological condition in Australia does not equate to 80% that the Americans have observed in their stock. Its early days still, and this could still change very suddenly. Its because the difference in percentages between countries are so great that breeders are getting upset about people blowing the whole neuro associated problems out of proportion. It could change over the next year?! Who knows, it might not. We just don't know. I am sure a lot will say "But why would it be different, carpet pythons are carpet pythons, regardless of where they are in the world!" I agree with this statement, but would rather have the percentages worked out over a thousand individuals than only a handful. This will be more sound statistically speaking. I am sure there will be some of you now that would have a go at how inaccurate statistics are? You can just never win on a forum.

I am sure this whole drama will pass, like most terrors in life!

The situation was a hypthetical one in that post.
If people did try to get a refund to get a different jag then ,
i would make a decision if and when that happens.
Yes i would advise other breeders to whats going on .
But breeders setting prices is a different issue ,
and a personal choice .

i would ,as well, advise other breeders about troublemakers and bad tyrekickers.i have done so in the past and will in the future and i have also recieved info from other breeders about troublemakers.
it was a hypothetical question ,it could happen but i'll agree with Roger on making a decision if it happens.
cheers
simon

How many breeders would just take back the snake without first seeing it.If it turns out there is something wrong,fair enough..But if some1 wanted to pull that trick(buy 1 and find a better 1 cheaper,return to buyer,just to buy the better one).Does it just come down to the breeder in Question,or WILL any people who breed Jags do this..As i no a few Chondro breeders and NO WAY would they take a animal back,as i wanted a pair,they couldnt quarantee as they were to young..So if i ended up with 2 males-2females that was my problem...So how many-who would just take the animal back with first seeing the condition..

A lot of people will be biest on this subject, it's really hard to tell who to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back