hacked hotmail help,...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
aarrgghh, overnight someone has hacked into my hotmail account and sent out a bunch of junk mail!! :(

theres nothing in my sent items, just failed delivery notifications in my inbox, and a few people have emailed me to let me know,..

does anyone know what i do to stop it?
who to contact?
i dont really wanna be annoying the crap out of people with this stuff,...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! :(

Chris.

Most of the time your account can't simply be hacked without them knowing your login info. It is more probable that you have a key logger on your computer and this can only be removed with anti virus/anti malware software.

If you use your bank account on the same computer, i would suggest you either change the password on a safe computer outside your local network or contact the bank and ask for a new account number/information (this is only if you have noticed that money has been moved, but it is always a good thing to do).

A key logger will do one of two things, it will send the information to a nominated email in the script of the malware each day/week/month, or it sends it live as it happens.

In some cases a complete re-install of your operating system is required.

To prevent this in the future, be mindful of risky sites, don't download any exes or files that you don't trust and most importantly, keep your anti virus/malware software upto date.

Currently I use Trend Micro for internet security, adaware and spybot seek and destroy.

Also, once you have fixed this, only then can you go about changing the account info of your hotmail account - otherwise it is redundant if the keylogger is still present.

Same has been happening to me. I've deleted everyone from my contact list so they no longer receive the doggy emails, and I also changed my password.

I am using Trend Micro for security.

i would change your password to begin with and dont open any email unless you know for sure its legit if not delete it asap

It never ceases to amaze me how blind some people can be when it comes to being 'online'

Hands up how many people use free public wifi at the fast food outlets / libraries etc. this story was run on free to air tv, i thought i'd link to it for all those people who were too busy 'online' to watch the news/current affairs programs.

Password pinching

thanks for the responses guys, seems im not alone,...its very annoying!!!!

was thinking of adding a space infront of all my contacts so it just goes off into lala land,...and i can just delete the space before i email someone, but what a pain!

in regards to the key logger,..if i change my password on my work mac, i guess that should stop it if they need my login deets,...i'll give that a go now,...but then again, as soon as i log in from this computer they'll have the new one anyway,..... :(

stupid pc's,....i knew i should have gotten a macbook!! :(

fortunately i dont trust internet banking and have never used it,...so at least my bank account is safe!! :)

thanks again, i'll let you know if the change of password (from the work mac) works,....guessing it probably wont,..

oh, and i'll look into new security software, does anyone know of any that dont come in cd/dvd form? this 'netbook' only has USB ports,...

oh, and jax, ive never used the free wifi, im super careful with what links i click, basically only aps and facebook,...if i dont know a sender its gets trashed straight away,..

thanks for the link tho,...its good to know!!! :p

I've had someone in china hack my eBay account and hotmail account once.
I couldn't even log into hotmail as they changed my password and security questions...
talked to their live help desk, got it all sorted. same with eBay.

I have since deleted that hotmail address and eBay account.

Its just a reminder to be careful when browsing...

oh, and jax, ive never used the free wifi, im super careful with what links i click, basically only aps and facebook,...if i dont know a sender its gets trashed straight away,..

thanks for the link tho,...its good to know!!! :p

Sorry Chris, my post wasn't meant to be a dig at you, although it did read that way when i re-read it. I saw the report on the TV and when i saw this thread and thought it was worth adding the info

So - if I was on holiday, wanted to check my email, sign in etc etc... (or facebook) - and I go to a popular restaurant (because I won't have interweb anywhere else) - how do I protect myself???

I have an awesome computer - but if it's the WiFi service and Firesheep - am I stuffed?

If you are using Windows 7 on your laptop, you select the "Public" network type after connecting and Windows will automatically disable sharing, problem should be solved. as far as mobile phones being vunerable, i cant help with that one, i don't use my mobile for surfing.

Pro tip:
Don't use Hotmail for important things.

I use hotmail for signing up to forums I'm not familiar with, facebook, Youtube, etc. and keep my bigpond.net.au email address for important things like netbanking, communicating with real people, etc.

Chris1, what you should do is if you don't have a proper ISP email address, is sign up to Gmail. I haven't seen any issues with it so far.
Sign back into your Hotmail account and set up an auto-direct email, so that anyone who emails your old account will be forwarded onto your new one ;)

sometimes it can also be a bot like on some forums down the bottom it will say a bot is online...yeah that kind. i get stacks of those pharmacy pill spam emails to my hotmail and i just delete them.

If you want that this situation ain't happen next time,install good keylogger such as [FONT=&quot]DutyWatch.More info -DutyWatch[/FONT]

This is also caused by a virus that you download when you open a dodgy e-mail (had this happen to me). Changing my password solved it.

If you want that this situation ain't happen next time,install good keylogger such as [FONT=&quot]DutyWatch.More info -DutyWatch[/FONT]

Apologies to this person if you are legit, but beware of clicking on this link....
The wording just looks dodgy to me ;)
Plus, this is their first post.
Maybe I am paranoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back