symtops of snake bites (Whip snake) please help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what species is suspected of biting you or anyone else you should always apply the pit bandage and get yourself to hospital asap despite the toxicity of any snake you could always run the chance of anaphalaxys and worse what if you misidentify the animal at least the hospital can run a vdk (venom detection kit) and give you definitive treatment

Localised pain, aching in the hand when put in a down position. Pronounced swelling area. Might get mild head ache. Drink lots of fluids and keep elevated. will take a few days to come down. The bite may remain slightly infected for some time and could become inflamed again at a later date.
Seek medical advice if child, elderly or have other health conditions.

Does the fluid include beer Peter? ... or not?

Any elapid bite should be taken seriously. A mate of mine died a few years ago due to a possible anaphylactic reaction to a Little Whip Snake bite (of all things)

Cant help someone who wont help themselves ,

dpeica is right though .... if he isn't having any trouble breathing or swelling isn't getting any worse then there is probably a slim chance or a major reaction seeing as the bite took place over an hour ago , but without an ID it is probably still wise to call an ambo regardless

But I will repeat cant help someone who wont help themselves

Dpeica has taken a punt he will be OK it can take over an hour for symptoms to develop from some of our deadliest snakes

keep elevated.

What? DO NOT elavate! That makes the venom rush to the heart!

Also, a good thing to do is apply pressure bandage. If the bite is on the hand, the bandage MUST go up to the shoulder. If on the foot, the bandage MUST go up to the thigh.

Dpeica has taken a punt he will be OK it can take over an hour for symptoms to develop from some of our deadliest snakes
Its been over an hour since the original post. And unless his dad is some kind of freak I doubt he was cleaning up dead trees in the dark, so its most likely been several hours.
No matter how stupid a person is, if they're on their way out they'll generally seek medical assistance if they need to. If a relative has time to post on the internet and ask for advice from a bunch of strangers its a safe bet they'll be fine.
Anaphylaxis can be ruled out.
Steve, shut up.

Actually I take it all back. Go with snakeluvvers advice. He's on fire.

Please remember the pit bandage only needs to be as tight as you would bandage a sprain this is because venom dose not run through the veins and arteries is uses the lymphatic system so plesae no constrictive bandages it is also helpful to try and stay as calm as possible and imoblise the limb best as possible. Ps no worries moose

Oh and dont use a tourniquet, they cause a venom rush when taken off an that can be deadly. Don't wash the bite site either.

I forgot to add, I doubt it was a whip snake. Probably some ****ty spider or something. Whips arent the easiest things to get bitten by. But hey, you never know..just go with it.

Well this thread is humorous.

I agree with dpeica, if it was bad you wouldn't be here making a thread about it..if it was a deadly snake you'd know about it fast..

snakeluvver, when did u have a delayed reaction to a deadly snake bite ?

The mind plays crazy tricks sometimes. Did she recover ok?

Its been over an hour since the original post. And unless his dad is some kind of freak I doubt he was cleaning up dead trees in the dark, so its most likely been several hours.
No matter how stupid a person is, if they're on their way out they'll generally seek medical assistance if they need to. If a relative has time to post on the internet and ask for advice from a bunch of strangers its a safe bet they'll be fine.
Anaphylaxis can be ruled out.
Steve, shut up.

Thankfully chances are your right, still not a safe bet when someones health is at risk. so unless you have something sensible to say maybe you should zip it. Your attitude could have dire consequences

I forgot to add, I doubt it was a whip snake. Probably some ****ty spider or something. Whips arent the easiest things to get bitten by.
agree with D on that one ....oh and snakeluvver dont get this misunderstanding that if its a small elapid it isnt as dangerous ...BIG MISTAKE!!!

SMALL CAN KILL ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back