how can I get my snakes to get to eat chicken necks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonboy69

Reaction score
I tried to get my snakes to try to eat chicken necks but they turned there heads away as if they didnt want to eat it.So how could I get them to try and eat it.I want them to have a variety in the food as they now not only eat mice but they take rats now want them to try and eat chicken necks

They will either eat them or they wont. They also dont need variety, rats are fine. But if you want them to eat them (not always) you could try to scent them with either a mouse or rat.

I offered a mouse to get a feeding response then offered the chicken neck, he took both, I then offered a second small flimsy chicken neck, he struck but didn't take it and was still in hunting mode - however I waved it in front and he didn't strike again, so I stopped trying and threw it out.

its got nothing to to with being cheaper, its nice to give them some variety, my female diamond loves chicken necks, she'll take them over a rat anyday!
i offer chicken necks every 6 months or so, just as a treat,...im sure rats are more nutritious since they have all the gross organs and stuff in them, lol,...sometimes they get a neck followed by a smaller rat than normal,...

first attempt 3 of 7 snakes smashed them, the other 4 needed them scented with rat first,..but havent hesitated with taking unscented necks since their first time,...

its got nothing to to with being cheaper, its nice to give them some variety, my female diamond loves chicken necks, she'll take them over a rat anyday!
i offer chicken necks every 6 months or so, just as a treat,...im sure rats are more nutritious since they have all the gross organs and stuff in them, lol,...sometimes they get a neck followed by a smaller rat than normal,...

first attempt 3 of 7 snakes smashed them, the other 4 needed them scented with rat first,..but havent hesitated with taking unscented necks since their first time,...

Exactly agree 100% with you there Chris1 its got nothing to do with about being cheaper whats wrong with variety in a meal. I mean out in the wild im sure they get variety.I wouldnt like to be eating the same meal everyday.

I agree with Chris regarding the "treat" bit, but the trouble is I don't know how many wild chicken necks are out there running around ;) I'm curious as to what real nutrional value they'd derive from them? I've fed a few of my tigers take chicken necks from time to time with no worries at all...but imho it's a little like feeding them tofu...not really a natural diet is it? I think you'd be better off getting day old chicks (as a suggestion)

pretty much just protein and calcium, it wont hurt as a treat as long as your snake doesnt stop eating rats afterwards. the only issue i will emphasize is that the vertebrae are pretty rigid so be careful that they dont cause damage or get caught. i did a post mortem recently where a rat perferated the oesophogus so i can very well imagine a chicken neck could morelikely do the same

Ive fed MOST of my pythons chicken necks for yearlings and chicken drumsticks for the adults.Out of 17 snakes 13 ate the necks-drumsticks..I ONLY feed them accasionally,once every month or so..Aspidities LOVE them,the BHPs just scoff them down..Since ive been feeding them,NONE have refused to go back to rodents..Ive found that they put weight on quicker then rodents also..

If you are trying to feed Stimmies on them be very carefull as the chicken necks
have a diameter very simular to the average stimmie and are very rigid, there is a
possiability of puncturing the animals intestional tract.

Ive fed MOST of my pythons chicken necks for yearlings and chicken drumsticks for the adults.Out of 17 snakes 13 ate the necks-drumsticks..I ONLY feed them accasionally,once every month or so..Aspidities LOVE them,the BHPs just scoff them down..Since ive been feeding them,NONE have refused to go back to rodents..Ive found that they put weight on quicker then rodents also..
Sorry just wanted to clarify, are you saying that the chicken makes your snakes fatter?

Sorry just wanted to clarify, are you saying that the chicken makes your snakes fatter?

Im saying that over the years ive noticed they put condition on alot quicker then rodents,especially females once there finished laying....

Im saying that over the years ive noticed they put condition on alot quicker then rodents,especially females once there finished laying....
Okay thanks, I read in another post that someone fed chicken in an effort to keep the weight off
their BHP, so that's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back