Please help, what kind of snake is this one?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matusik

Reaction score
Hi, we have found a snake on the pathway in front of our house at about 8pm. It might look bigger on the picture because it's taken too close, but it was only about 40cm long. We live in Sydney and I tried to search to find the species, to us it looks like a red belly baby but his top skin was brownish not black. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• kupovanie buxusov 012.jpg
    kupovanie buxusov 012.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 497
I'm gonna take a stab at it for the first time and say that it's a golden crowned snake? hopefully I'm right..lol

Golden Crowned, an inoffensive and mildly venomous species and a reluctant biter. When threatened they adopt a cobra like stance and then just sit there. Great for photographers and ignorant red-necks who like killing small animals.

Attachments

• Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldernCrowned_11.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldernCrowned_11.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 142
  • Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldenCrowned_35.jpg
    Animals_Reptiles_Snakes_Elapids_GoldenCrowned_35.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 158
Hmm... not the site to post a picture of a despatched harmless snake if you did the despatching yourself...

J.

Golden Crowned, an inoffensive and mildly venomous species and a reluctant biter. When threatened they adopt a cobra like stance and then just sit there. Great for photographers and ignorant red-necks who like killing small animals.
Couldn't have said it better, a small snake that is terrified of losing or breaking it fangs and will generally, always defensively strike with a closed mouth. Next time take a picture and leave it alone!

Deadus snakus. Can tell its that by the severed head, very common in areas with people.

other way around, your guilty until innocence proven and taken a photo of a snake thats just been killed on a shovel looks awfully guilty to me,

but then again if i stand near a house thats just been lit on fire with a jerry can and handfull of matches does that mean im innocent? certainly wont look that way

What a brilliant looking snake. Looks as tough as hell when they rear up. Shame about it being killed though and if the person who did it knew it was non lethal and unlikely to bite, even when provoked, maybe they would not have killed it. Then again, the average household pets, the cute fluffy types, cats dogs, rabbits, etc also get mistreated and abused so what hope does a beautiful but scaley snake have with the general population if the pets which have been accepted for hundreds and thousands of years are also being mistreated and abused. Just face it, most humans are A Holes.

Calm down...maybe he killed it...or maybe he found it dead after a cat had attacked it..or a bird or a dog..either way, i doubt he will come back to answer that question!

to me it looks like yes they've killed it probably with the shovel the snake is on like so many other city folk they don't know much about snakes so killed it out of fear, however they are then curious enough to join a snake forum to find out about the dead snake thus begins the learning phase

That is one beautiful species I have never seen before :) It was clearly "shoveled" you can see the clean crisp line... generally other animals find it difficult to cut so cleanly without leaving any other marks lol
But yeah, hopefully they will know better for next time and leave it alone instead of killing it. But you know in all likelihood, their neighbour would have found it an killed it same way :(
It really didn't deserve to die, I hope OP understands this now and has a better appreciation for snakes. Even some pythons... heck even some lizards have a defensive display... it doesnt make them dangerous :)

Please next time look, don't touch... and just walk away and consider yourself lucky that you got to see such a beautiful snake.

Wow guys nice way to welcome him :rolleyes: he may have found it killed by a pet, you can't accuse him so harshly. It may have been his relative or neighbour who killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back