Something fishy in your beer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forensick, agreed, but having done so much study in this area, does it not do you a disservice making misleading statements that sound like vegetables give the full dietary requirement for calcium??

Considering the average 19 to 50 year old requires 1000mgs a day, the chart on the link following would show the amount of calcium in most veggies to be negligible, and therefore, supplements would indeed be required??

http://citracal.com/Calcium/Foods/Vegetables.aspx

Text books are all well and good, and studying is certainly to be applauded. But getting facts right are of the most importance when it comes to subjects that conern health.

(by the way, it took me five minutes to work this out, and it was free!!)

i doesn't do a disservice because vegetable DO give the full dietry requirements.
a recomended diet including meat includes 5+ cups of vegetables, go through the list and it isn't hard to reach.... especially when a vegan eats more than that.... and it doesn't even take into account legumes and high calcium grains (amaranth)
soy and tofu are also high in calcium, higher than many dairy products, a cup of soy bean offering around 400mg of calcium.... and the avg vegan will consume a high amount of soymilk/tofu per day (IMO too high....)
although my point is that a vegan diet can meet ALL recomended requirements while an avg 'meat' diet fails dismally on almost all fronts.
My reason for posting is i get so frustrated by the random 'unhealthy' vego comments that get thrown around here.

and yes this is an area i devote a very large amount of study time too....

calcium intake is an issue i have a particular interest in.... although i don't plan on doing my phd on it :)oops:)
you'll find a great deal of contention in dietetic fileds about whether or not milk is any good AT ALL for calcium, we know it is easier to absorb from vegetable (most), but we believe we absorb very little from milk... and that most calcium intake for our entire life time happens before 18. research is ongoing and probably always will be... if you choose to look it up, remember the dairy organisations globally pay for most of the research......
as a general rule, i recomend people eat yoghurts and cheeses, they have less lactose and are easier to digest anyway, and have more benefits (conclusive ones) than plain millk.

i applaud you actually looking stuff up tho....
it actually how i became obsessed, and why i started formal studies... i was confused by something someone said.... and off i went

Beer contains at least 1000% of your dietary intake required in vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and fish supplements.

Guiness contains iron doesn't it?

Oh... here's another 'did you know' fact - but it won't put you off your beer this time:

Did you know that the bubbles in beer are carbon dioxide? Little bubbles of carbon dioxide are usually formed in the fermentation process. Just like us, the yeast breath - and they breath out carbon dioxide which fizzes up our natural beers. But most beers these days are brewed, filtered (through fish gut) and they go flat - so they re-carbonate them with soda stream like mechanisms. So the carbon dioxide in your beer is usually fro,... yes get this... usually from oil refineries!!!

But wait there's more...

The carbon dioxide could come from sewage works if it were more acceptable... Unfortunately it seems oil refineries win on this one....

Ok... this wasn't the only fact I wanted to share:

One day I went on a beer tour at Canterbury Breweries in Christchurch (NZ). They have a lot of lovely tasting beers there. They had two HUGE vats of liquid nitrogen. I asked the fellow if that was for some cooling process that is required during the brewing of one of their speciality beers. The reply took me back quite a step.

He said that at Canterbury Breweries they are one of the few places outside of Ireland where Guiness and Kilkenny can be brewed.

Now instead of carbon dioxide in the Guiness which forms large bubbles, they use nitrogen in liquid form - the nitrogen forms the smaller bubbles which give Guiness and Kilkenny the characteristic foamy head that we're so used to. If it was carbon dioxide the head may not last as long.

Now the liquid nitrogen is forced into a device called the widget, and when the can is opened the pressure difference causes the widget to erupt and sending gaseous nitrogen through the beer.

So - not all beer just contains carbon dioxide... Nice to know???

so drinking too much guiness can give us the bends?

Beer contains at least 1000% of your dietary intake required in vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and fish supplements.

Guiness contains iron doesn't it?

I remember once reading a statistic (not sure how true...) that your daily nutritional requirement can be met by a pint of milk, a pint of OJ and 12 pints of Guinness!!!! As I said, not sure of the veracity of the claim, but a nice thought!

Something I and sure of - when my mother in law was in hospital having her babies (40 years ago in the UK), the breastfeeding mums were all given a pint of stout as part of their daily diet!I

I remember my Nana drinking a bottle of stout, one a day, she lived in the north of Lancashire, in the hills around Bury....................... they said it kept away the cold and thincenek the blood against chills... something like that!!!!

Isinglass is used in heaps of beers...but not all. It's basically a clarifying agent

Most of my fave beers are vegan friendly (unintentionally)... Coopers Pale, Becks, Little Creatures Pale, Pilsener Urquell, James Squire golden, Boags premium.

All this talk of beer makes me want to get into homebrewing again!

I remember once reading a statistic (not sure how true...) that your daily nutritional requirement can be met by a pint of milk, a pint of OJ and 12 pints of Guinness!!!! As I said, not sure of the veracity of the claim, but a nice thought!

We need a volunteer(s) to test such a claim. I envision something along the lines of that 'Supersize Me' movie. :D

Ahhhh Guinness, My tipple of choice, back in England. Friend of mine who owned a bar in the Algarve, where we used to go every year, on a golfing holiday, got a keg in especially for me, he drank half a pint to make sure it would meet my expectations...this it did! as I knocked the other 50 odd pints out in the first 36 hours, and was forced onto the lager with the rest of the prols for the next 8 days....:)

Isinglass is used in heaps of beers...but not all. It's basically a clarifying agent

Most of my fave beers are vegan friendly (unintentionally)... Coopers Pale, Becks, Little Creatures Pale, Pilsener Urquell, James Squire golden, Boags premium.

All this talk of beer makes me want to get into homebrewing again!

Someone talking some sense.

Alot of beers dont use 'fish guts' (actually air bladders) any more, they use different sugar products instead. Isinglass when used, is added in the mashing/kettling stage and so will almost be completely retained on the floor of the kettle, but some may be still suspended and carry over, either way, almost nothing. Its only really, the older 'legend' type beers that have been drunk for years and years and years that use isinglass. It is typically, quite expensive so your good old friday night TED's dont get the same royalty clearing agents.

Ive just started again after a LOOOONNNNG off spell. Feels good to be mashing and hopping your own beer. Drinking it is even better.

Anyone wondering why they use SOME nitrogen with CO2 (not completely replace it). It wont give a longer head, just a thicker one. Carbon dioxide is also a byproduct of fermentation, and you cant avoid it, beer will always contain it. This is how you carbonate the beer if bottling at home, by using the yeast. For kegging though, you need to use a different Co2 source.

"
Draught Guinness and its canned counterpart contain nitrogen (N2) as well as carbon dioxide. Nitrogen is less soluble than carbon dioxide, which allows the beer to be put under high pressure without making it fizzy. The high pressure of dissolved gas is required to enable very small bubbles to be formed by forcing the draught beer through fine holes in a plate in the tap, which causes the characteristic "surge" (the widget in cans and bottles achieves the same effect). The perceived smoothness of draught Guinness is due to its low level of carbon dioxide and the creaminess of the head caused by the very fine bubbles that arise from the use of nitrogen and the dispensing method described above. "Original Extra Stout" contains only carbon dioxide,[25] causing a more acidic taste."

From wikipedia :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back