Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katrina30

Reaction score
We've had our snake almost a week and we have yet to see it drink. We have two drinking dishes in the enclosure, but as far as we can tell he hasn't even noticed them. Should we be worried? Do we need to show him where they are or will he find them on his own when he's ready?

You don't often see snakes drink. Don't worry about it :)

mine drinks only real late at night the darkest of dark times and drinks heaps when she does, but wont drink if the water
at all if its over 3 days old dunno if that is just my snake or if its a snake thing lol i would imagine they are feeling fairly vulnerable when drinking and do it when its quiet dark etc etc

From what I've read they won't drink old water because in the wild it could be stagnant. I think I've seen one of mine drink once and that was on a friggen hot summer and I had the front room and no air con.

one of mine drinks every time i change the water, as i put it back in she comes over and drinks.

they drink when it's thirsty.
change it once a week or if it evaporates.
They drink very seldom.

I never see mine drink but often have a soak in there water bowl my darwin was lying in his bowl for hours last week 2 of my coastals where too

Differant snakes have differant drinking habits. Most need very little water to survive, i remember a story of a new keeper not providing any water and their spotted python lived for six months. That said its best to provide clean water all the time.

My BHP drinks all the time where as I have only seen my diamond drink twice in 2 years. I always make sure her food is wet so that even if she isnt drinking from the bowl I know she is getting water with her food.

I'll try and embed a video of one of my snakes slurping down some water later on. Admittedly it's not something I get to see all that often either.

I think this will work??

[video=youtube;lws5bzOfcY8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lws5bzOfcY8[/video]

Last edited:
most of mine drink as soon as the waters been changed.
i offer my fave boy his bowl when its freshly filled and he drinks from it while im holding it! (im so flattered!!!)
so cute how his little cheeks go in and out as he drinks,...

Yeah, mine too drink as soon as i change the water(every2-3 days)
they come straght out and slurp down

Moose, you have a Death Adder?
Wow, has it lunged at you?

Hi guys, no it's not a wild one. He's a captive bred praelongus (northern adder). To be honest he comes across as super tame (but I'm sure the looks are more than deceiving! :p)

carpet python drinking.. Only time I've seen one drink in the few years I've kept them.. Stimi's drink every water change though.
[video=youtube;fBSDJ7tnwVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBSDJ7tnwVQ[/video]

Thanks to everyone for your feedback, was very helpful. And thanks to MOOSENOOSE for the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back