Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PilbaraPythons

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Of interest what does keeping a snake as a pet mean to you. What I mean by this is do you keep reptiles for nostalgic reasons for aesthetic reasons or entertainment etc.
There has been recent forum discussion on a proposed top five wish list for hopeful species additions to the W.A licensing system and it is clear that people’s wish list vary accordingly to different reasons for keeping reptiles which is kind of obvious really but interesting to me none the less.
As Waterrat has said, he enjoys GTPs for the sheer beauty and I am also guessing nostalgic reasons and therefore he would unlikely want to house one in a plastic rack system. Others seem to think they are very boring and prefer things that are a bit more exciting like monitors etc and again I would imagine the pleasure in keeping them would be mostly entertainment. Some people keep all their reptiles in tubs where the only time they get to see anything is when they are feeding or cleaning and besides the issue of breeding for money, I wonder what those reptiles mean to them.

Last edited:
I might add I think I like keeping reptiles in part for nostalgic reasons and yes I do keep large amounts of snakes in tubs but now I do not enjoy keeping them nearly as much.

I enjoy the nostalgic for aesthetic reasons. My collection is quality over quanity so i like to display them in good caging. Only things in tubs are hatchies.
I also have a highly stressful job so my reps zone me out. There is nothing more relaxing then zoning out in the herp room either watching, cleaning or feeding.
I can spend hrs at a time there much to the wifes displeasure :) reptiles mean different things to different folks. As long as they are healthy & happy all is good.

I keep for interest and pleasure, hence the viewing enclosures and small collection. I also use a snake for teaching at school (housed in classroom), because it stimulates interest among students and helps them appreciate our native reptiles more. Just having it around so that they watch it move about to thermoregulate, etc, makes students much less likely to kill a snake in future. Of course, they love the occasional feeding time...

I keep for several reasons to be honest. Sometimes I'm asked why I keep reptiles by people that have no interest in them and i honestly find it difficult to explain to them. I think reptiles are very interesting animals and I never get bored with them, if that makes sense. They are interesting, entertaining, different etc. I keep mainly pythons (also interested in large monitors) but I like to keep unique and different types e.g. I like GTP's because they are unique in terms of their ontogenic change, very tropical and arboreal nature etc. I like RSP's because again they are very unique. I like 'normal' carpets aswell, hence i keep darwins. However IMO there is little difference between say a Darwin and a Diamond (in terms of uniqueness/difference), thus i cant see myself buying any other 'normal' carpets (i.e. Jungles, Coastals, MDs, etc). A BIG favorite of mine are Womas, I keep quite a few and cant get enough of them, again they are very unique in comparison to the other types of pythons I keep.

My Womas are maintained in large tubs, while all my carpets are in enclosures. I keep/ set them up for practicality for easy cleaning maintenance so while they have perches etc, they are relatively simple looking. I dont handle much but I do take them out at least once a week, often just to admire them.

So to answer the question, I keep them because it's almost therapeutic in some respects and i cant think of a better hobby.

I have often been asked, why do you keep snakes, what do you do with them ?
I simply say, what does anyone do with fish in a fish tank, what do you do with those ?

I keep bhp for nostalgic reasons as i regulary ran into them in the scrub whilst hunting and always had a big soft spot for them and once i discovered you could own one... well 4 of them later and a couple woma just because thay are funny to watch and i like the look of them.
I think i will always have a wish list for other species but different varients of BHP will always take my money before all others..

Nothing so I don't keep them. Only exciting in the wild, captive snakes are as interesting as a piece or rock. Actually I like rocks so as interesting as a stick. Thats just my opinion though, people think I am weird for getting excited over small brown skinks, but its each to their own.

They don't do much for me. They've never washed the dishes, ironed my shirts or cooked me dinner. Never even wished me a happy birthday!

They don't do much for me. They've never washed the dishes, ironed my shirts or cooked me dinner. Never even wished me a happy birthday!

Too true, they are so selfish, they just use you for free food and a home. Should at least be paying board.

I enjoy the nostalgic for aesthetic reasons. My collection is quality over quanity so i like to display them in good caging.

+1 thats why I keep mine also everything you have said here is almost identical to what I was going to say.

except I get stressed too easy with the every day crap I deal with being an army wife and also being pregnant so my reps are a good thing to keep me calm and sain. without them I would be crazy by now and a big emotional wreck. I've only now managed to creat my own reptile room where I can sit and relax and just watch them but befor they took up my hole loung room.

I keep snakes, because after 25yrs of keeping them, I still find them fascinating. I can come home from work, grab a can, kiss the wife and fridge, and watch 'em for hours. They relax me. I also have fish. All up, it's an outlet, and when you've got a wife and kids, it means you can have your outlet and still stay at home. Keeps everyone happy!

I am commonly asked this question: why snakes? I find my animals very calming; I could waste hours watching them, handling them and learning about them. We keep our animals in a variety of cages, all with the animals best interests at heart. My favourite setting is a big outdoor aviary where we have 2 large coastals who seem (and yes, I think you can tell ... ) like the happiest snakes on the planet.
Snakes are silent and noble; they want nothing from you other than to have their basic needs met. Of everything in my life, they are the least troublesome and complicated. Wouldn't want to be without them!

i like everyone i find them calming and entertaining and a big learning thing goes with it,
but also they suit people with disability's and are unable to walk dogs wash animals etc etc
but my main reason is i love them them and for some bent reason its awesome to own a "wild" animal :)

p.s Awesome thread

I keep them because I remain enamoured with them, I love all animals but reptiles fascinate me and caring for them is an absolute pleasure for me :)

I keep them because I like how different they are to all other animals. I appreciate their beauty, I love all the different colours and patterns, and they all behave in a unique way. I like the fact that they're easy to care for; they don't need that much and their food isn't that expensive considering they don't need to eat much. The joy and excitement of watching a juvie grow into a large snake is also a great thing. My MD has been growing very rapidly lately, and it's thrilling for me.

I recently had branches screwed into the enclosures so they can climb, and I felt better knowing that they could have something there to enjoy and climb on just like they do in the wild. I agree with the other people on here who say they're relaxing. If I've had a bad day I can pick up my favourite snake and not long after I'm calm again. I love sitting back and watching them at night when they're exploring their surroundings, their movements are almost hypnotic.

Most of my Christmas present this year will probably be things for my snakes; a good present for me is giving the snakes something they'll enjoy :)

I keep reptiles simply because I can't imagine life without them.
I was given a Shingleback about 30 years ago when I was 6 or 7 years old.
I find handling them relaxing, I like educating people about snakes and lizards who ordinarily would never have contact with them.
I have always loved animals, in particularly reptiles, and love being responsible for them.
I love looking out my kitchen window and seeing lizards going about their day!
I have animals in both display cages as well as in tubs in racks. This is purely due to lack of space though, and all the animals in the racking are still handled every day.

Interesting thread, PP!

I keep, a lot of different reptiles.
Some I love more than others. Garth likes the lizards,turts and the aspidites.

I really love the antaresia and the morelia.
They have a calming affect on me. I enjoy every aspect of them.
I can spend hours just dithering about in the herp room.

I keep mainly Lizards (Skinks, Dragons and Monitors) all for entertainment, I also love to learn new things about them.eg Breeding. my Frogs are mostly for learning, entertainment and aesthetic reasons. I have just become attatched to keeping reptiles, now its a hobby/addiction, i like to care for them, breed them and acquire different species

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back