Newbie, Help Needed With DP Enclosure!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jake_the

Reaction score
Recently purchased a Diamond Python from a workmate. Came with an enclosure lights etc.

When i first got the DP it was fairly active climbing around and what not, however the last couple of days it has been just curled up in the corner of the enclosure. I think it may be too hot as it has been very hot and humid in Sydney the last few days.

I fed it this morning and it seemed to move around for a while, then eventually went back to the same corner? Any suggestions? Am i right in thinking its enclosure is too hot? Suggestions to cool it down?

Enclosure is mostly wood with glass front and a small mesh panel on the side door.
Came with UVB light (26watts i think), water bowl, hide, basking rock, branches to climb and substrate.

Also i have read mixed views on whether a thermostat with heat lamp is necessary for Diamonds, a UVB light sufficient enough? Opinions?

Since i am a noob i have been trolling around a fair bit trying to learn as much as possible. Am open to any advice/suggestions/help and it would be greatly appreciated.

I was going to ask if it's gearing up for a shed as they will hide then but you mentioned you fed him/her today and it took it so can't be that. I have read a lot on using uv light as a must for diamonds but they still need a heat source too. Correct me if I'm wrong people who have diamonds. I don't. IUs the enclosure indoors?? Mine is on a thermostate and still heats up and I live in Brisbane and you can't get much hotter than good ol' brissy. Hope someone can help you.

with UV ive heard so many mixed rumours about that literature is your correct source for that i never bothered as i dont own any from my understanding diamonds like it cooler the most other pythons all heat sources must be thermstated, best get is grab a temp gun and take you temps from the side your diamon appears to be going to and the other side sounds like it could be heat thing

also patonthego i wouldnt rely on that theory if going into shed yes some wont eat but ALL of mine will eat during any part of there shed milky eyes or not especially my jungles

All my Diamonds will take food & eat during any part of the shed also.
I use ceramic heat controlled via a thermostat + UV. The heat comes on for a maximum of 4 hours a day during the hotest part of the day in summer down to fully off for one week in the coldest time in winter.
Its all about replicating their natural enviroment

Safe to say its not a heat related thing then? Could be just having a bludge?? Will look into getting a heat lamp/thermostat.

Thanks alot.

Safe to say its not a heat related thing then? Could be just having a bludge?? Will look into getting a heat lamp/thermostat.

Thanks alot.
well i wouldnt discount it being a heat issue , what are the enclosure temps ?

Do a search on Diamond care & have a good read.
There is more to keeping this species than the average carpet.
It very well may be heat related.

I was going to ask if it's gearing up for a shed as they will hide then but you mentioned you fed him/her today and it took it so can't be that. I have read a lot on using uv light as a must for diamonds but they still need a heat source too. Correct me if I'm wrong people who have diamonds. I don't. IUs the enclosure indoors?? Mine is on a thermostate and still heats up and I live in Brisbane and you can't get much hotter than good ol' brissy. Hope someone can help you.
not necessarily there are no hard and fast rules for animals in my opinion..my diamond will often still accept a feed even mid shed...

Might also just be doing what snakes do. I have 2 diamonds (well 1 would be called a port mac) and they have never refused a feed even when in shed. They will also spend days at a time hidden away. Frustrating I know when you want to see them all the time.
Is it your only snake? If so get a couple more then you have more chance of having one on the go at some stage!

Update: I think it was a case of a snake doing what snakes do as i woke this morning and he was moving about. Just a case of nervous nellies me thinks just because he went from being fairly active to tucked away for so long.

Thanks all.

I agree with The Jungle Guy - my diamond has eaten when he was about to shed (his eyes never go milky and he doesnt fade - it's always a surprise!)

Jake - my diamond goes through stages, sometimes he curls high up on his little log for a few days and then he will hide for a few more. Just the way he is... Can understand why you would be stressing though

Congrats on the diamond - they are gorgeous pythons :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back