Newbie questions... forum culture...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

giggle

Reaction score
I know I am not the only one that feels this way...

When a newbie asks a question, often it goes unanswered... occasionally there are less-experienced members such as myself trying to take a stab at answering.

But more experienced people who may be able to offer some actual help, don't answer the question (or answer rudely or in an offensive manner)... but do seem to have the time to find a small flaw in the way the original poster has explained their situation, they "have a go at them" and make this the focus of the thread... but ad no valuable information at all.

I believe in doing so, they ultimately are breaking rules 1, 2 and 6. But it is such a common trend now that I fear the value of the forum is waning. A lot of less-experienced members do not feel asthough they can ask questions or even so much as contribute to discussion. It is one thing to correct someone politely and another to belittle them over a misunderstanding.

I know I will be attacked for this :) I know I am a pretty outspoken person and when someone gets on my nerves I usually tell them so. My own character flaws are not the topic of this thread though... I am hoping to open up discussion on this topic and maybe bring opinions on the topic to mods attentions.

Perhaps useful contributions to newbie questions might be encouraged and those that make nit-picking comments that discourage newbies be discouraged.

It is becoming the culture of this forum to belittle others. I am pretty sure that this is not the aim of the forum?

This topic has been done before - many times actually.

Reasonable questions get reasonable answers. There's a difference between newbie questions and lazy questions..

Being a newbie shouldn't always equate to having zero-knowledge. If only people took responsibility and did a little reading for themselves instead of creating a thread every time something popped into their heads, then this would prevent the "value of the fourm" from "waning" much more than anything else could.

Last edited:
Well that makes the situation even sadder, that after many discussions on the subject, things still remain the same.

Asking for good resources for information on a species is more than reasonable... yet such questions still remain unanswered. The saddest thing is that as you have demonstrated, most people assume that because someone is asking for resources or information... that they have done no prior research. Yet the best research is comprehensive... including asking those who have experience in the area.... who may have discovered hidden resources that are difficult to find.

By no means does someone asking a question on this forum mean they have not done prior research.

and as Carolyn says "the only dumb question is the one that's not asked" so why are noobs like myself criticized so much for 'not knowing' when there is a reason for joining a forum...to become more knowledgeable in the reptile of choice! i know from a first hand experience that many of my questions i had went unanswered for a while, i'd done reading on basic care of beardies but i felt idk like a waste of space on the forum!

imho i have found the best info and those that have been most considerate to me have been those that are fellow beardie slaves and understand the need for someone new to reptiles to get the info needed.

Not criticising here or arguing but if it was "comprehensive" research, it would naturally include the SEARCH button on the forum. It is quite evident by the Qs asked that most of the times this is not the case.

the thing i will never understand on this forum and all forums for that matter is people complaining about everyone posting threads that have already been posted, asking silly questions etc.
if you dont like what you see dont reply to the thread?
i try to stay out of anything of this nature but am sick of all these threads.
has no one heard of the saying 'if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all'
im on another forum ausbonsai.com and i am yet to find a silly argument or anyone belittling anyone. just people who have a passion for what they do and enjoy sharing it
why cant people do so on aps?

The problem is lazyness.
There is a search button on the top right hand corner, use it.
After you have used it & gone through the resources that have come up, then ask your questions.
Nobody likes continually answering the same questions, it gets old, fast!
Anyone who has been around here for more than two minutes can pick out the posts which haven't even tried a mile away.
Experienced members arn't here to help with noobs laziness, most are happy to help with knowlege.

the thing i will never understand on this forum and all forums for that matter is people complaining about everyone posting threads that have already been posted, asking silly questions etc.
if you dont like what you see dont reply to the thread?
i try to stay out of anything of this nature but am sick of all these threads.
has no one heard of the saying 'if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all'
im on another forum ausbonsai.com and i am yet to find a silly argument or anyone belittling anyone. just people who have a passion for what they do and enjoy sharing it
why cant people do so on aps?

I've wondered the very same thing!
I have never been on a forum where people are so harsh and where so many reply to threads just to belittle someone or argue. Some members do not seem to contribute anything other than to stalk the threads for something to pick upon. I think with harsher moderation for such people they may be encouraged to find value in making real contributions.

i understand that people get annoyed with laziness but people are acting if they HAVE to answer to the threads like a gun is being held to there head if they dont do so.
if nobody likes continually answering the same questions why dont they just not post on the threads they dont like at all??

The problem is lazyness.
There is a search button on the top right hand corner, use it.

Well my point is that this is always everyones outlook. But what if they have used the search function... and they have read all previous threads... but they still have questions. People still automatically assume they are lazy and have not used the search function. This is my point, many times people have done their research, but have further questions. Still, people have a go at them regardless. The laziness of a few should not condemn all.

Anyone who has been around here for more than two minutes can pick out the posts which haven't even tried a mile away.

The attitude you are complaining of is no different to the attitude of the noobs who don't search & expect results or don't read & go off on tangents.

Each side is equally guilty, I think it's called life!

The attitude you are complaining of is no different to the attitude of the noobs who don't search & expect results or don't read & go off on tangents.

Each side is equally guilty, I think it's called life!

Absolutely.

This really is a pointless conversation - the moderators on here do a good job, and they will delete any posts that are inappropriate.

What's the point of whinging about it over and over giggle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back