How many poisonous snakes are there in the world ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dorigrass

Reaction score
There is none in the whole world . You are getting confused with venomous snakes. Venomous snakes have venom that when they bite they put venom in the blood. Poisonous is when you eat it it will kill you. So, there is exactly 0 poisonous snakes in the world.

thanks for clearing that up.......i guess.

actually, venom falls under the category of poison quite neatly....so technically all venomous snakes are also poisonous.

–noun
1. a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.

in general use, a poison is something ingested while venom is something injected, but technically not necessarily true.

I thought venom once injected travelled in the lymphatic system? Not the blood?

this thread = [video=youtube;RBS2bH6tyPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBS2bH6tyPU[/video]

way i see it dead is dead no matter what you call it :)

Sucked in, there was a poisonous snake featured in on of the science/nature journals either last year or earlier this year. Like poison arrow frogs of Sth America it is diet related.
Someone else may have a bit more detail.

ps, lol, just noticed your sig Australis. Nice.

so your saying if i drink venom i wont get sick or die

you can drink venom, and your stomach acid and enzimes will break up the venom and netralise it, but if you have any scratches/cuts/ulcers etc that let the venom get into your blood then you will be in some trouble.

note i dont know if this applies to all venoms but i do know it applies to some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back