Reptiles Australia magazine - no more

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Sadly, the magazine that started servicing the herp community many years ago and once enjoyed the monopoly on the reptile publications market is gone. It's a great loss to all of us but also a reminder how important it is now to support Scales & Tails, the only surviving reptile magazine. Perhaps the word "surviving" is not a best choice of words because S&T are actually thriving thanks to their professional management and enthusiasm.

On a personal note, I supported RA for many years with my articles and photographs and in the end I didn't even get "thanks and good by" from the publisher Alex Lannan and I wasn't the only one. For some reason he decided not to respond to any emails and phone calls for the last few months and sadly, there are still some unsettled issues between us. Not very honorable way to exit.

The Reptiles Australia Editor John McGrath was kind enough to return all unpublished material to all contributors and will not hesitate to forward my articles to S&T next week.

Cheers
Michael Cermak

Thanks for letting us know Michael. Can someone else take things over or is it dead and buried?

Every dealing I had with them was painful.But I enjoyed reading the mag

I wonder what happens to subscriptions....... I haven't received a mag in 6 months anyway.....

Thats why i have not seen it in the paper shop then i will miss reading it.

That is a shame, it was a great mag. Does anyone know where i can get hold of back issues? Would newsagents still have copies that weren't sold?

Newsagents don't keep unsold copies. They're sent back.

sad to see this mag go ? i looked forward to it at the newsagency !

not good to hear that micheal about alex ! very disappointing

What a shame to see the end of Reptiles Australia Magazine, l myself always enjoy reading it when ever l could get hold of the latest issue from my local Newsagency, it will be sadly missed least we now have Scales & Tails Reptile magazine to read thank god and hope this magazine continues for a very long time.

What a shame!
I like the fact that there were two reptile magazines on the market as you can never get enough information.

I can imagine it would be hard to keep up and get good articles month after month. It is hard with just a little newsletter for the club.

I would not be too hard on the fact you are getting no replies....maybe I am just a softie..but sometimes you never quite know what is going on in someone's personal life to judge!

Still got two mags on the market, Herpetofauna and Scales & Tails! Sad to see it go.

Fay, I am not judging anyone, just stating facts.
Had Alex come out and told us what the problem was I, for one would have waved all the fees for my articles for the next 12 months and I am sure other authors would have done the same to keep the mag going. Ignoring people is rude and I find it hard to drum up sympathy for Alex, no matter what the circumstances. We were willing to hep and he ignored us. Not good!

What are they doing with any magazines they still have? Still a chance to buy back issues? Just assuming someone on here knows.

I wonder if Alex will be king enough to refund the subscription fees that where only paid recently ?

Be careful last time I mentioned that I didnt get thanks for something on this site I got flamed...some people dont understand that courtesy is a good thing.

Its sad to see it go, however without support things will fail, it is not one person to blame, it is a combination of events that would lead to this. Alex loved the magazine, he worked hard at it, but when the reptile community stop supporting something for whatever reason, due to the fact we are a "small" community, there will be flow on effects.

I just renewed my subscription aswell. It's very sad to see it go. Let all hope the Sam doesn't happen to scails and tails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back