Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having said that... I really believe there are some crosses going around... vitticeps x barbata. Yours has large scales on its nose... and from my observations pure barbata have elongated ear openings where as vitticeps have smallish round ear openings. Yours has halfway between...

we all know its an eastern and these other people are wrong.

This is far from an argument, this is an educated debate in the search for a correct answer. We all have our opinions and I'm not too keen on being referred to as an "other person". Or being automatically assumed wrong. And Wally76, how do the flank and head spines contrast our opinion? Those are very ordinary spines for a central, and abnormally small for an eastern.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a taxonomic standpoint the separation of species denotes an inability to interbreed so I doubt it's a cross. Eg a Jungle Carpet (M. s. cheynei) can breed with a Diamond Python (M. s. spilota) as they're of the same species but not with a Green python (M. viridis)

This is far from an argument, this is an educated debate in the search for a correct answer. We all have our opinions and I'm not too keen on being referred to as an "other person". Or being automatically assumed wrong. And Wally76, how do the flank and head spines contrast our opinion? Those are very ordinary spines for a central, and abnormally small for an eastern.

In your first post you say that P barbata have a straight line of spines across the back of the head. This is incorrect, the spines actually run in a backward facing arc which is clearly shown in the pics provided.

I have a cross that shows both traits of Centrals and Easterns. Which this beardy does.
Anyway whatever is written on the license is probably correct.

From a taxonomic standpoint the separation of species denotes an inability to interbreed so I doubt it's a cross. Eg a Jungle Carpet (M. s. cheynei) can breed with a Diamond Python (M. s. spilota) as they're of the same species but not with a Green python (M. viridis)

no.

There are many documented crosses actually. And not only that... there are jungle cross GTPs... a seperation of the species does not mean they are unable to breed.

I stand corrected. I appear to have had the spine direction back to front between barbata and vitticeps. I'm still not entirely convinced of the species however, and I'm now entertaining the possibility of it being a cross.

On the point of crossing, it is a scientifically applied method of classification to separate species based on the inability to cross, but it's always been true (especially of Australian reptiles) that classification is far from a finite endeavour, forever changing.
And I'll be looking up GTP x Jungles, sounds awesome!

This has been a very informative debate. Cheers.

I stand corrected. I appear to have had the spine direction back to front between barbata and vitticeps. I'm still not entirely convinced of the species however, and I'm now entertaining the possibility of it being a cross.

On the point of crossing, it is a scientifically applied method of classification to separate species based on the inability to cross, but it's always been true (especially of Australian reptiles) that classification is far from a finite endeavour, forever changing.
And I'll be looking up GTP x Jungles, sounds awesome!

This has been a very informative debate. Cheers.

First gen look HORRIBLE... but then they refine it a bit they can look alright. Its a big thing in America, doubt it will become popular here.

No worries. I certainly hope it doesn't become big in Aus. It'll bee hard to know if what you're buying is purebred, and what happens when a cross escapes? Scary stuff.

Last edited:

Centrals and Easterns can certainly interbreed, and easily at that.

Interbreeding (or inability to) is not a characteristic that can accurately split two species or genera. There are many, many cases of obvious interspecific and intergeneric crossbreeding in reptiles, plants and mammals - and that's just what I know of personally. Some of these are sterile, but there are records of female mules (horse/donkey) being sexually viable. Nearly all Australian python species that have been interbred, and not just the Morelia spilota subspecies, regularly reproduce in captivity - just look at the state of most of the pet quality Antaresia.

CamdeJong google carpondro and you can view a see of pics of all sorts of carpet x green trees. some look awsome but for the most part they are average looking animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back