Aust. racks = expensive.....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurto

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been weighing up the cost of buying or building my own racks.... Obviously it's far cheaper to build my own, well in this country anyway..... I really can't believe the cost of racks here in Oz...

Living in the northern hemisphere would literally halve the cost of housing pythons, well in a rack anyway.. Freight is the only thing stopping me from ordering direct from the states.

Has anyone else noticed this trend or am I the only one?

I looked into getting some for my gecko's and the price was huge compared to elsewhere.
Decided to build my own because of it.

I dont get a choice where I live. I have to freight everything at huge cost and long waits or build from scavanging. My last enclosure contains a wooden cabinet, fly screen from a door, hinges from the same door and perspex from a broken rear projection tv

I too have noticed that when recently looking into buying a rack. Home made is the way to go

With home made you can have exactly what you want too ;-)
Was an easy choice for me.

yeh your right kurto, here in aus the prices have been marked up alot mainly to compensate for how expensive the shipping is, i have been researching some racks and vision and freedom breeder have only one distributor here, ARS caging do ship but the prices are expensive and the shipping would be huge considering they are some sort of metal framing, living on a island doesnt help.

now if you want to build your own no worries, melamine is available and i have been thinking of fabricating a aluminum frame myself as im a metal worker,but the big BUT is TUBS were do you get half decent one without to much height and a much needed flat smooth bottom for heating IF ANYONE CAN HELP WITH TUBS cause ive tryed importing a few bus tubs but hospitality websites in usa dont ship here and they are like $5 US which is a bargain considering we pay here anywhere up to $20 for a tub anyway thats my 2c worth but good luck

Homemade is the way to go, the mark up is ridiculous on racks and enclosures and the satisfaction of building something yourself is great!
If people are not design savvy there are plenty to find on here or with a simple google search, someone whos never used power tools could easily whip one up within a day!!

Homemade is the way to go, the mark up is ridiculous on racks and enclosures and the satisfaction of building something yourself is great!
If people are not design savvy there are plenty to find on here or with a simple google search, someone whos never used power tools could easily whip one up within a day!!

This is is the way i do it! save those extra $$ you would spend on the rack so you can concentrate on filling the tubs in the rack!

It kinda sucks... some racks look like the goods for hatchys... but not at 4k each :(

All you people that are having a go at rack prices here in Aust. compared to the USA you have to look no further than the hourly wage rate to see the difference [approx. 1/3 of ours].....don't believe me, check it out..... solar 17 [Baden]

Yes, I've found the prices to be prohibitively expensive. As necessity is the mother of invention however, it did make me get off my **** and develop a system that offers the same functionality at a far better price! I've just started rolling out my new range and 2011 will be the Year of the Rack for us here at Snake Whisperer. I'm booked in to learn how to weld as well so I'm hoping to have a steel rack system available to Australian keepers by the 2nd quarter of 2011 that is both affordable and not bogged down with ridiculously long import charges and wait times!

Round one is here: http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/sneak-peek-sw-large-python-150146/

Cheers,
Aaron

All you people that are having a go at rack prices here in Aust. compared to the USA you have to look no further than the hourly wage rate to see the difference [approx. 1/3 of ours].....don't believe me, check it out..... solar 17 [Baden]

Absolute fact Baden. This is the principal reason for the massive variations in prices between here and there. The high wages were one of the big draws for my migrating here but the high wages come at the cost of high cost of living! Plus, boats aren't cheap to run either!

I lived in the states for a few years and I was on similar money that what I'd get here doing the same job...

We own Vision racks and have built our own racks for our pythons. Home built will always be the more affordable option, but we have found that there is more to just price when it comes to some of the brands like vision and freedom breeder. The racks design is just so bloody clever. The materials used and the way the whole thing gets put together has a lifetime of use in mind. If you really want to compare pricing then do it over ten to fifteen years as that is how long the vision and freedom breeder racks would last you at a minimum. We just can't afford to have racks that bow and swell when it gets a hint of water exposure. Most of our racks get misted on a daily basis so that hatchlings can drink fresh water off the sides of the tubs. Most materials just can't stand this type of moisture exposure. We have spent thousands on the vision product and in all honesty don't regret it one bit.

There is no comparison when it comes to home made versus professionally built racking. Needless to say, I do think it is possible for home grown rack builders to come close to the quality once they start building powder coated metal frames for racks. Even some of the cube lock racks that I have seen would do really well if the levels can be made out of some type of plastic like polycarbonate or polyethylene.

Just my thoughts. I am not trying to pick a fight with our local rack builders as I ghoul that their quality of workmanship is world class.

True Blue racks are australian built, affordable and the guys are great to deal with. i know a number of people on here use their racks and havent had an issue with them.

True Blue racks are australian built, affordable and the guys are great to deal with. i know a number of people on here use their racks and havent had an issue with them.

Ill second that I could not even start to say how happy I am with their products , they are neat effective and very cost focussed
IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

sent PM Roger :)

cant put the link on the forum

Last edited:
and to answer your question the 24 tub medium racks cost me $1000 odd with a thermostat , the one on the left of the screen with the smaller tubs I am trailing for them .

They should cost around the same depending , I will be converting to the ones on the left for the grow outs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back