Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dihsmaj

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Would a Dendrelaphis punctulata be a good beginner snake?
Not that I'm saying that I definitely will buy it, I'll do research, then have it in mind for when the time comes.

here are a sew of my favourt starter snakes,

childrens python, stimson python, spotted python their great only growing to just over 1 more the spotted and stimson wilst the childrens just uder 1 meter max size about 1 meter,

haha my first snake was a scrub python.

the tree snake is a colubrid, it has rear fangs!, mild venom, much like a bee sting, do not get it as a first snake!
they are really fussy eaters takes year of exeprence to own these,

the tree snake is a colubrid, it has rear fangs!, mild venom, much like a bee sting, do not get it as a first snake!
they are really fussy eaters takes year of exeprence to own these,

It's true that green tree snakes can usually be very fussy eaters but they are not venomous
and have no fangs, the brown tree snake is the one that has rear fangs.

Ok that's all wrong.

I have two of them. One NT gold form and one SEQ green form.
It doesn't take years of experience to keep them.

First off their bite will have little to no affect on you unless you are a frog/skink/fish. I'm sure plimpy is none of those Reptile-Man

I wouldn't recommend them as a first snake unless your good friends with the breeder or something.
Maybe a second snake, they're a bit different to pythons in the way the slither, are more active, faster and are funner to feed.

I've got mine feeding on fish.
Ranging from gold fish, gudgeons, rainbow fish, blue eyes, I know some people here feed them rainbow trout.

There not fussy eaters. There different eaters, once you have them feeding they eat constantly with gusto to the point where you have to be careful what food you put in front of them.

The thing with reptiles is that once you have there basic environmental parameters set they'll generally thrive.
Just because there different will not make them harder to keep.

Here is a care sheet that I wrote, keep in mind that this is my experience with them.
Also like I said I probably wouldn't keep these are a first snake, but there heaps cooler than pythons.

Care Sheet
Green Tree Snake

Gah.

What I'm saying is if you don't know how to handle snakes I wouldn't get one for your first snake but in saying that they aren't incredibly hard to keep like Reptile-Man was saying.

The venom is generally (ALMOST ALWAYS) harmless to humans. I've been bitten a few times with no worries at all.

Yeah...
Wait a minute -- I thought all vens required an advanced license?

Unless you are super sensitive to venom, a GTS wont do you any harm. I've been bitten by one, I just felt a tiny bit of itchiness in the bite area. But the venom of a GTS is so harmless that they're classed as non venomous snakes.

look PLimps,

Common tree snakes ARE NOT venomous the DO NOT have fangs.

They have teeth and at worst a saliva that will not harm you in the least bit!

As for being a good first snake, i would say no.

They can be tricky feeders, they dont really tolerate handeling all that well, they can be very fast and flighty and possibly easy to lose for a first snake.

A great first snake would be a MD carpet python, great nature, hardy, love there rodents, tolerate handling very well and are a plesure to watch and learn from.

cheers

donks

Alright, thanks, Donkey.
I liked the Murray Darlings anyway :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back