Pygmy Darwin :o)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileaddiction

Reaction score
Looks like I've got a pygmy Darwin on my hands :lol: This little one hatched out a little over two weeks ago. It hatched out from an egg smaller than a ping pong ball. It was the only unusual egg from the whole clutch. I thought it was destined to fail from the start. I was shocked that the egg had veins when candled the whole way through incubation. I was even more shocked when it actually hatched out and was fine....other than its small stature. It took a pics with a clutch mate so you can see the comparison.

Sorry about the final pics. I only had a pink tub handy, so the pics came out a little crappy, but you get the idea about the size.

Interesting. Have a good geeze at it's head scales to see if they are any different. I remember 2 threads from years ago of an unusually small woma and childrens, i definately remember the woma's head scales were fused and i think i remember the childrens did aswell.

ur snakes not small its just very cold in that tub hahaha

Thats awesome, i wonder if it will catch up,

waruikazi - you mention fused head scales... i gather this isn't a good thing and will result in a reduced lifespan for the little one :(

Thats awesome, i wonder if it will catch up,

waruikazi - you mention fused head scales... i gather this isn't a good thing and will result in a reduced lifespan for the little one :(

That's interesting... might have a bit of a google on that.

Interesting. Have a good geeze at it's head scales to see if they are any different. I remember 2 threads from years ago of an unusually small woma and childrens, i definately remember the woma's head scales were fused and i think i remember the childrens did aswell.

Hi Gordo,

Just had a look. The head scales are all there fine. It looks the same as it's siblings, just smaller. I'll take some better pics when the wife gets back from Brissy because she's take the good camera with her. I'll get some close ups then.

We had one of those two seasons ago. It was perfect when it hatched. Fed it mouse tails for a few meals and then it took a small pinkie. We still have it. It turned out to be one of the nicest darwins we have ever bred. They struggle to catch up as it takes a while to get them feeding when they are that small. I should have some pictures of it somewhere.

Only thing I'm worried about is having to feed it pinky mice. I hate having to feed mice to carpets. I've got no choice with this little one though since it's about the size of a hatchling childrens.

We had one of those two seasons ago. It was perfect when it hatched. Fed it mouse tails for a few meals and then it took a small pinkie. We still have it. It turned out to be one of the nicest darwins we have ever bred. They struggle to catch up as it takes a while to get them feeding when they are that small. I should have some pictures of it somewhere.

I'd love to see pics. What sex did it turn out being? Any idea what it weighed when it hatched? I haven't weighed this one. I wish I had of.

That's interesting... might have a bit of a google on that.

LOL, sorry... i thought you knew something about it, let us know if you come up with an answer, i did a quick hunt and came up blank

but fingers crossed, the 'little' guy doesn't appear to suffer with 'fused scales',

How big do you reckon it'll get? I'd love a Pygmy Darwin, normal darwins are too big for me :p
Edit: don't flame me saying that a Pygmy is a mutation and hard to care for and stuff, I was JUST joking

haha thats very cute would geckos be easier to feed then mie/rats tails??? what do people feed there anterasia hatchies ?

Hi Nicole. Did you happen to find any pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back