Is my childrens python ready for fuzzies?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNG

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and also to the hobby, my gf bought a childrens about a month ago from a pet shop. We have been feeding it a single pinkie every week - and tonight just finished it's first shed without any issues. The petshop records say it was hatched in December 09. Weighed it tonight - 24g and approx 40cm long - it consumes pinkies pretty quickly and is active for an hour afterwards looking for more prey... I've attached a photo to give an idea of size (looking at other threads it looks undersize) - do you think it is ready for a fuzzy mouse? Thanks for any help :)
- Dan

c0947551-611f-6e16.jpg
c0947553-6146-d19a.jpg

My Spotted's started taking fuzzies at around 30-40cm, so you could try him. If he's still hunting after you feed him he probably isn't getting enough?

if you are a bit worried on the size of the fuzzy feed him 2 or 3 pinkies instead until you're comfortable.

yep i would up the feed size, also am i right i see the thermostat probe right next to the cage might wanna move that it would be on.off all the time, move into a position so its taking ambeint air temp rather then bsking spot temp but also want to make sure the basking spot doesnt get overly hot aswell by using the correct wattage

Thanks for the help all, I'll try a fuzzy tonight - the heat lamp is 100w in approx 2 foot enclosure - thermostat is set to 33 degrees - he moves around a fair bit uses both hides and is up in the branch the most.. Sometimes he curls around the heat lamp cage when he is active - but doesn't stay there for long...

I live on the gold coast for a reference to ambient temps - should I move the thermostat to the top middle of the enclosure and set it to 32? He's in the cold hide at the moment

I have a dual probe thermometer on order... Flying blind atm

Cheers
Dan

hey mate love the gold coast im moving back there very shortly :) but back to subject

i would move it away from next to the heat light, to the warm side notice you will still get your 32 degree but the light wil stay on longer, basking spot will get warmer to so might need to check that with temp gun

hey all, still feeding 2 fuzzies a week, he is now weighing in at 50grams, is this growth rate ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back