help! wild gecko caught by cat!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rio_rat

Not so new Member
Reaction score
ok everyone will think im a loser but i got home to find my idiot cat had caught a chinese house gecko and its missing its tail and some skin and was very stressed so i bathed wounds in salt water and have him resting in a tank, im a vet nurse and have a must save everything mechanism lol, anyway, what do i need to do to keep a gecko healthy- do they need heat, will they eat mealworms or crickets, anything would be great guys!

I certainly wouldnt let it suffer but this guy has a good chance at survival

If it's an asian house gecko, it should be fine without heat, I would not offer food for the first couple of days depending on the condition of the animal (if it's well covered it'll be fine, if not offer food tomorrow night). I would be keeping it separate room from my other herps and thoroughly washing my hands after feeding it etc. I would keep it in a dark room with not much movement to minimise stress... There are a lot of them though and most people view them as a pest species, but it's your decision. I feed all of my geckos crickets. Anyway, whether you decide to look after it or not and just release it and let nature take its course (as much as it can be natural with two introduced species), good on you for caring. :)

unfortuantly AHG are a pest.
they compete with native geckos and out breed our natives 10000 to 1.
they are becoming as big a problem to our wildlife as Cane Toads and Cats

AHG are pests kill it

C,mon..I see heaps around here just on the house,killing any WILL not make a difference,i can go out and catch hundreds in one night..I cant beleive how many there is around here,killing them WILL NOT put a dent in the population..

Externally it may seem as though it has a good chance of survival, but there is probably more damage than you realise (as can happen after an encounter with a cat).

Euthanise it.

C,mon..I see heaps around here just on the house,killing any WILL not make a difference,i can go out and catch hundreds in one night..I cant beleive how many there is around here,killing them WILL NOT put a dent in the population..

Of cause killing one will make a difference.. thats one less that will breed!.. How could that not make a difference ?
All I see are AHG around here.
But in saying that.. salt on the wounds??? OMFG ouch.
I don't catch them or kill them but I am thinking of going out to catch small Cain toads to feed to my keelback if its legal... :D

Isn't illegal to release one into the wild, like after catching carp you have to kill them?
If you keep it keep it away from other animals incase it has pests ect... just don't release it, kill it or keep it.

heavily diluted rock salt water on its wounds would sting yes, but its better than chlorhexadine or metho. hes doing well today and im going to keep him myself. now he cant breed and be a pest but hes looked after and alive.

AHG's make great death adder food... just putting that out there

Even though they're pests they still have a place in this world. If you kill them, fine with me. If you dont, thats also fine. Its up to you. I'm a bit of a tree hugger, I dont even like killing cockroaches!

I agree snakeluvver everything has a place in this world, unfortunately Australia isn't the place for the AHG... I recently saw a presentation on the effect of the cane toads at the last VHS meeting.... heartbreaking to say the least. A fine example of something being at the wrong place in the world.

It'd be nice if you could collect them and flog them off as reptile food :D I'd certainly put in an order or two down here :lol: The trouble is, people might be nailing native geckos by mistake! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back