Advice for Getting a Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest In my experience I haven't found them any snappier than any other carpet. Maybe I have just lucked out and got tame ones but I have 3 and each are pretty quiet. My kraus line is the tamest of them all. Beautiful snake, if you put the time into handling it, it should quieten down like any other. Go for it :D

Thanks all for the advice.
Still not sure whether I should go for a hatchling or a yearling.
My understanding is a hatchling may be a bit of a risk because it takes a while for the colours to come through.. So I may be better off
getting something that's coloured up a bit.

Then again, I'd prefer to handle it from a young age. And the older pythons I've come across so far haven't been handled much :\

Thanks all for the advice.
Still not sure whether I should go for a hatchling or a yearling.
My understanding is a hatchling may be a bit of a risk because it takes a while for the colours to come through.. So I may be better off
getting something that's coloured up a bit.

Then again, I'd prefer to handle it from a young age. And the older pythons I've come across so far haven't been handled much :\

I say get a hatching and just handle it and get used to it you never know you may get one that's a sook

i have a tully which was sold to me as snappy been bitten quite a few times over the last few mnths she is almost 12mnths old and 1m long now she rarely strikes and on the odd occasion that i do get bitten it still dosn't hurt so to be honest if u get a hatchy u have plenty of time to tame it handle it every day or so for longer periods ect.

mine isnt even cage defncive i just remove the hide and pick her up in a ball only time she has really taged me or anybody else is if you move to fast which most snakes will do im looking forward to several more jungles this yr money permiting so i say gofor it

I did exactly the same thing as you this year mate, moved from ants (mac) to my first morelia (JCP). I had excatly the same worries, jungles being "snappy" and all. I say go for it, you won't regret it. All you really need is not to bleed to clean up crap, if you can get to that stage then it's no worries. I got mine as a yearling as I have never dealt with morelias before so I wanted something more established and not have to deal with a hatchy. Mine is a bit flighty and bolts at the slightest touch (but slowly getting better), he is defensive and displays the usual threat posture but is reluctant to bite (so far). You can always use gloves and a hook at the start when interacting with them till they get used to it (no diferent than any other snake). Sometimes a "snappy" captive is good, keeps you on your toes and stops you from being complacent. If your watching their attitude then as a trickle effect your watching their husbandry.

Last edited:
You also have to remember REPTILES can-will bite...Its just in the nature,if your worried about being biten,then maybe a kitten-bird may be a better option..As (most) snakes grow,they tend to quieten down,however some will just be snappy all there lives..Hatchie snakes tend to bite as there small and a hand coming towards them seems like a monster so they bite,(thats all they can do).If they could hit-kick they probably would,however they ONLY have a mouth of teeth...With buying Jungles,ALOT dont generally colour up until around 12months...

You also have to remember REPTILES can-will bite...Its just in the nature,if your worried about being biten,then maybe a kitten-bird may be a better option..As (most) snakes grow,they tend to quieten down,however some will just be snappy all there lives..Hatchie snakes tend to bite as there small and a hand coming towards them seems like a monster so they bite,(thats all they can do).If they could hit-kick they probably would,however they ONLY have a mouth of teeth...With buying Jungles,ALOT dont generally colour up until around 12months...

well said

My +1 I bought a Jungle ( Palmerston ) Off Junglepython2, Great Buy she has only taged me 3 times in 4 months Hold twice a week -even in a shed- so take it like a draw out of a hat... Ive know crazy childrens compare to Jungles but all depends =)

Ive heard Athertons are supposed to be the most friendly of them, I would believe it with my girl but it could just be her thats friendly. Shes the only Atherton ive handled.

Talk to Colin. I have bought a few sxr line jungle off him and they are the tamest snakes I own

what adult about size ?

which is the bigger line palmerston vs atherton, i would love a jungle but cant keep anything bigger then 1.5 meters adult size hence the reason why i keep a mac

are there any that have been bred down ?

Last edited:
why cant you keep any bigger? and palmerstons are the smallest of the jungles and crankiest of them all, theyll grow anywhere between 1.5-2.0

what adult about size ?

which is the bigger line palmerston vs atherton, i would love a jungle but cant keep anything bigger then 1.5 meters adult size hence the reason why i keep a mac

are there any that have been bred down ?

Athertons are bigger mate, closed canopy specimens will be smaller so yeah... Palmerston would be around the 1.5m mark

Athertons are the dull looking jungles
Buy a Palmerston or a Tully
Gorgeous black and golds

Pick up the snake and handle it before you buy it
You would not buy a cat or dog without handling it???

Get two cloths bags
Wipe them under your arms to put your smell on them [no deodorant that day]
Leave one bag in the enclosure to let the snake learn your smell
Use the bags to pick up and handle the snake
Do not use bare hands at this time
After two weeks the snake will be crawling all over you

For 16 years I used Jungles in my snake shows
Never had anyone bitten
All were handled exactly like this
In Bali now I used Chondros
Reportedly bad biters
Exactly the same
Tame as anything

why cant you keep any bigger? and palmerstons are the smallest of the jungles and crankiest of them all, theyll grow anywhere between 1.5-2.0

Its a agreement between Me and my Mrs that I would only keep smaller pythons as i am living in a unit, I am in the same scenario as SYNer the thread starter, i have a ant as my first snake and have warmed my partner up to a second, ive got the perfect spot for a aboreal display case but it would need to be 1.5m max would love a nice colourfull jungle.

Tully's are the smallest of the Jungles
Very beautiful vivid black and gold
Usually only about 1.2metre maximum
Or if your finances run to it get a Julaten black and white

Julatten would be my first pick as there a stunning python
Not sure what a tully looks like anyone care to post up a picture

With the limits to the size you can have maybe a jungle isn't the best breed for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back